TV, Comic Books
The Buy Pile
In Your Face Jam
Comics Should be Good
Dec 01, 21:38pm
Dec 01, 21:36pm
Dec 01, 20:53pm
Dec 01, 20:30pm
Dec 01, 20:06pm
Dec 01, 20:01pm
Dec 01, 19:41pm
Dec 01, 19:39pm
Dec 01, 19:37pm
Avondale Estates, GA
* Mark Gruenwald’s ashes were mixed in with the printing of a comic book.
* Al Milgrom was fired by Marvel after sneaking an insult to Bob Harras into a comic book.
* Mark Bagley got his start by winning the original Marvel Try-Out Contest.
* DG Chichester left Daredevil with #332.
* DC dictated the format of Marvel comics for more than a decade.
* Thunderstrike was outselling Thor and Avengers combined when it was cancelled.
* Marvel killed off a Thunderbolts character because of a rights problem.
* Roger Stern left Avengers over Captain Marvel’s leadership of the team.
* Marvel HAS to publish a Captain Marvel comic book.
* In 1975, Marvel came up with four new titles in one lunch.
* Speedball was invented for the New Universe.
* Marvel UK turned Killraven into “Apeslayer.”
* Hank Pym appeared in comics BEFORE the Fantastic Four!
* Spider-Woman was created by Marvel to secure a trademark.
* Akira Yoshida is a pseudonym.
* Spider-Woman ended up getting Wolverine’s original origin.
* Frank Brunner and Steve Englehart faked a fan letter to themselves.
* Triathlon was gay.
* The GI Joe series was partially based on a previous Marvel pitch Larry Hama made to Marvel.
* The famous “Silent Issue” of GI Joe was originally meant to have dialogue in it, but it was left out due to some sort of error.
*Stan Lee created the Black Marvel
* Jimmy Carter’s diplomatic policies led to the Contest of Champions.
* Jack Kirby sued Marvel Comics.
* Marvel changed the name of the Black Panther because of the political group by the same name.
* Dr. Strange has a daughter named Sofia.
* Fred Hembeck Destroys the Marvel Universe was held back for five years because of Justice League of America vs. The Avengers.
* Steve Ditko once had a story censored for using the devil in a comic.
* Dave Cockrum’s resignation letter from Marvel was placed into an issue of Iron Man as a prank.
* Marty Pasko wrote a short prose story for Marvel Comics under the name “Kyle Christopher.”
* John Romita broke into comics pretending to ink for a penciller, while the penciller was actually inking Romita’s pencils!
* John Byrne had a much longer storyline in store for Scarlet Witch before being taken off Avengers West Coast.
* Terror, Inc. was a continuation of a previous comic from another line of comics.
* Paul Simon named some of the rhymes in “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover” after the old Marvel bullpen.
* Jim Shooter and Dave Cockrum once shared an apartment.
* The second volume of Ghost Rider never had an ending.
* Alias was originally going to star Jessica Drew, but writer Brian Michael Bendis had to change Jessica Drew to Jessica Jones.
* Yellowjacket II was originally going to be a member of the Thunderbolts.
* J.M. DeMatteis had to toss out a plot involving Dr. Strange’s father due to the title’s imminent cancellation.
* Neal Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys used to be an editor for Marvel Comics.
* Kurt Busiek was going to call Carol Danvers Nemesis during his Avengers run, but the X-Men office would not let him.
* Scott Lobdell was fired from Alpha Flight over controversy regarding Northstar “coming out.”
* In the 1970s, Marvel had a designated “first page” letterer.
* Grant Morrison and Mark Millar had a pitch for a revamp of Marvel’s 2099 line of comics.
* Due to Don Perlin, a profanity accidentally snuck into an issue of Defenders.
* Namor and the Human Torch had the first team-up in comic history!
* Marvel has never intended to publish the final chapter to “The Last Galactus Story” serial that ran in Epic Illustrated magazine.
* Marvel published a game tie-in years after the company that made the game was defunct.
* Grant Morrison and Mark Millar pitched an “evil Professor X attacks superheroes” story a year before Onslaught!
* Marvel had another cross-promotion superhero/singer in the 90s.
* Kurt Busiek adapted his idea for Marvels II into Astro City: The Dark Age, years after the fact.
* Geraldo Rivera made an appearance in an issue of Count Duckula.
* Ghost Rider was originally intended to have no ties to the supernatural.
* Jim Starlin once had Pip the Troll drink a particularly offensive drink.
* The Hopi tribe tried to force Marvel to pull an issue of SuperPro from the stands.
* The original Secret Wars had only two sentences of dialogue end in a period.
* Namor the Sub Mariner was created as a movie tie-in.
* The last issue of Marvel Comics’ Star Wars sold so poorly that it was not even released on newsstands.
* Marvel’s president once canceled a movie tie-in comic mid-series once he realized what the movie was about.
* John Jakes wrote comics for Marvel.
* Daimon Hellstrom was a riff on Damien from The Omen.
* Scorpion was originally going to be the child of Viper and Silver Samurai
* The clone of the Guardian was originally going to be a member of the New Warriors.
* Jesus Christ was a supporting character in Ghost Rider.
* The second volume of Ghost Rider was not supposed to be an ongoing series./a>
* Howard Mackie took an issue to trash anything that had happened in Ghost Rider since he left the book.
* Steve Englehart’s Silver Surfer book was designed as the Surfer exploring outer space.
* Marvel had an agreement with Frank Miller that they would not bring Elektra back unless Miller wanted to do so
* Marvel Comics once had a line of female superhero comic books.
* Thor appeared in a Marvel Comic BEFORE the Silver Age!
* Marvel published a toy tie-in comic book without an actually toy to tie-into!
* Al Milgrom was blacklisted from Marvel Comics after he snuck an insult of Bob Harras into a comic book.
* Marvel had a line of female heroine comic books in the 1970s.
* Kitty Pryde was in the original treatment for Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars, but was removed before the comic was released.
* Marvel took a British comic book character and basically just put her into Alpha Flight wholesale.
Email Address: (not published)
Comics Should Be Good accepts review copies. Anything sent to us will (for better or for worse) end up reviewed on the blog. See where to send the review copies.
Home | News | Columns | Reviews | Video | Blogs | Forums | Find A Comic Shop
© 1995-2015 Comic Book Resources. All Rights Reserved.
Report a Bug | Advertising | Contact