Top 158 Comic Book Runs #138-129

Here are the next ten

137 (tie). Grant Morrison’s Zenith – 57 points

2000 AD #535-550, 558-559, 589-606, 626-634, 650-662, 667-670, plus some Annuals, plus an additional run from #791-806 that is probably a bit too far away to count as one run

I just featured this run on the comic book alphabet of cool. It was a fun, postmodern superhero tale of a superhero in a time when doing music videos was the most superheroes had to do – so what does he do once he actually has to be a superhero? We shall see! Brendan McCarthy and Steve Yeowell were the main artists (the former doing the design work and the latter most of the actual pencilling).

137 (tie). Fabian Nicieza’s Thunderbolts – 57 points (1 first place vote)

Thunderbolts #34-75

Nicieza took over a book that seemed like it was completely Kurt Busiek’s title, but by the time Nicieza left, his personal stamp was all over the work. He did a fine job bringing them back a few years after this run, as well. Mark Bagley helped transition the run from Busiek to Nicieza, then Patrick Zircher did some fine work on the book.

136. Steve Gerber’s Defenders – 58 points (1 first place vote)

The Defenders #20-29, 31-41

Steve Gerber’s run on the Defenders is most notable in how off-beat it was, especially for the time period. A highlight of this run is the work Gerber did with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

134 (tie). Ed Brubaker’s Catwoman – 62 points

Catwoman #1-10, 12 -37

Brubaker completely revamped Catwoman, turning her into a sort of Robin Hood of Gotham’s East Side. Darwyn Cooke was there at first to help design things, then Cam Stewart did a marvelous job on the title keeping up with Cooke’s style. Gritty, character-based drama.

134 (tie). Brian Michael Bendis’ Avengers – 62 points (1 first place vote)

Avengers #500-503, New Avengers #1-current (#40), plus some Annuals and I guess Mighty Avengers #1-current (#13)

Bendis finished one run on the Avengers and then revamped them as Marvel’s premiere superhero franchise, taking a book that was doing average sales and making it Marvel’s most popular title (then launching a spin-off that somehow managed to do almost as well!).

133. Roy Thomas’ All Star Squadron – 63 points

All-Star Squadron #1-67, plus some Annuals

Roy Thomas was given the keys to the kingdom when he was allowed to do this series that filled in the blanks in DC’s Golden Age. It was detailed, but it was also humanistic, and some of Thomas’ finest comic book work of the decade.

132. Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson’s Swamp Thing – 64 points (2 first place votes)

House of Secrets #92, Swamp Thing #1-10

This run, which introduced Swamp Thing to world has nice stories by Len Wein, but it is Bernie Wrightson’s stunning gothic-esque artwork that defines this run. Amazing artwork.

130 (tie). Robert Kirkman’s Walking Dead – 65 points

Walking Dead #1-current (#49)

This tale of what happens to zombie survivors when they try to live the rest of their lives is an engaging look at how “real” people would react to the situations given to them. Tony Moore began the book, but Charles Adlard has been doing it for years. Great work.

130 (tie). Peter Bagge’s Hate – 65 points

This could easily count other books, but let’s just say Hate #1-30, plus a bunch of annuals.

Bagge’s Hate is a stunning piece of political and social commentary, highlighted by Bagge’s stinging sense of humor and his exaggerated style of artwork. Buddy Bradley is more or less an “everyman” trying to deal with the modern world as responsibly as he can, while all the while noting how bad the world can be (humorously, of course!).

129. William Messner-Loeb’s Flash – 66 points (1 first place vote)

Flash #15-28, 30-61

While Mark Waid’s run is the more famous, a lot of Waid’s cues were from Bill Loebs’ run on the title, as it was Loebs who began to humanize Wally West, and it was Loebs who introduced Linda Park, and the interesting chemistry between Linda and Wally. Loebs stories were centered around humanity, but they also had action and, most importantly, they often had FUN.

Loebs also outed the Pied Piper in a brilliant piece of writing. If only Northstar could have been outed as well as Loebs handled the Piper.

That’s it for today! Ten more tomorrow!

Graham Vingoe

May 9, 2008 at 4:13 am

“A highlight of this run is the work Gerber did with the Guardians of the Galaxy”

Maybe, but the REAL highlight of the entire run and the reason it got my vote is the Nebulon/Headmen Saga. Thats the point when his creativity went off the scale and the title became more and more bizarre making it a real highpoint of the 1970′s as far as I’m concerned

Two things here that almost got votes from me – Messner-Loebs’ Flash and All-Star Squadron. Flash, as you say, was just a lot of fun. The story where Wally moves to Keystone and has to deal with the combined threat of Turtle-Man and The Turtle is my favorite Flash story ever.

As for All-Star Squadron (the first series of any length that I ever owned a complete run of) it’s the CRAZIEST THING EVER. The plots were always off-the-wall, the cast never stopped expanding, and Roy just got more and obsessed with making sense of everything that ever appeared in a Golden Age comic (things that, inherently, make no sense at all). Too bad it all fell apart at the end, after Crisis destroyed Earth-Two. That the series had to end with a string of Secret Origins is such a shame. Still, I wonder how long Roy could have kept it up.

I LOVE “HATE”!

AND I HATE EVERYTHING ELSE!

Remember that?

Ah, the early 1990s…

comb & razor

May 9, 2008 at 5:34 am

had I voted, both Gerber’s Defenders and (especially) All-Star Squadron would have been high up on my list, so it’s good to see them here!

Messner-Loebs’s Flash! Man, I love this run. It would have made my list if I could pick 11 or 12 runs.

My favorite storylines must be the one Wally unwittingly almost destroys the country in an attempt to renew his powers and becomes “the Porcupine Man”, the one when he teams up with Fidel Castro (!?!), and the battle with Gorilla Grodd that is both scary and funny as hell (Rex the Wonder Dog?).

Crazy, crazy stories! But also full of humanity. This stuff made me laugh and feel in a way Giffen’s JLI never managed to.

I love the Waid stuff too, but man, what an injustice that these stories are almost forgotten!

Seeing Zenith is a big surprise.

Man, I never vote in these things (as noted elsewhere, I never vote in ANYthing, most notably political contests), but if I had, I wonder how highly I would’ve placed Gerber’s DEFENDERS … & if that would’ve been enough to lift it into the top 100. Probably not, but I’m sure it would’ve made my top 5, probably rubbing shoulders with McGregor’s Black Panther run in JUNGLE ACTION, Ostrander’s HAWKWORLD, some iteration(s) or other of the Legion of Super-Heroes, Moore’s TOP TEN, Busiek’s ASTRO CITY, Gerber’s HARD TIME, Friedrich/Ayers/Severin’s SGT FURY & Lee/Kirby’s FF.

I think I did vote for Gerber’s Defenders. But while the Headmean stories were crazy, the killer elf was the best part of that run. What was great about Marvel in the 70s was that it seemed like there were no editors – the writers and artists were trying anything and everything – and there was this manic feeling to it all. And no title met that better than the Defenders. In some ways, Morrison’s Doom Patrol owes its senses to those Defenders issues..

Messner-Loebs’ Flash scored one of my votes. It includes my pick for best Wally West story ever, #54 (see http://www.fourthhorseman.com/Flash/iss054.htm )
(I’d say “best Flash story”, but there’s so many Barry and Jay stories I’ve yet to read; I’ve read a much higher proportion of Wally stories) The run as a whole was consistently terrific. #30 was another highlight. It must be about time for me to unpack all these and re-read them again!

The Defenders run looks very interesting. Have the Essentials reached these?

I keep reading Bendis’ Avengers, but I kept reading everyone’s Avengers, even the Heroes Reborn and the Crossing eras. I don’t think it would make my personal top ten Avengers runs, but there’s no arguing that it’s popular.

Had I voted, Gerber’s Defenders and Bagge’s Hate would have made my top ten.

Garth: you bring up such an excellent point. What I continue to be amazed at is the lack of biography/documentary on Marvel in the 60s – 90s and to a lesser extent DC during those times. Comics are bigger than ever in the public eye. The time is right for a look at this.

Gerber’s Defenders is just crazy, awesome fun.

Loved Bru’s Catwoman; probably my favorite take on the character.

I haven’t read any of Messner-Loeb’s Flash, but with all the good stuff I’ve been hearing about it lately, I’m going to have to soon.

I haven’t read any All Star Squadron but would gladly read a Showcase collection of such.

I remember reading Busiek’s Thunderbolts, loving it, and worrying about his absence but Nicieza didn’t miss a beat. That was such a fun, fun book until it became a lame Fight Club riff.

I had a Peter Bagge designed t-shirt back in the day: “I Like HATE and I Hate Everything Else!” What an awesomely funny series that was, and it still holds up today.

It’s nice to see Messner-Loebs Flash on this list too, as it often gets overlooked in favor of Waid. Wally West Flash in the hands of Mike Baron and then William Messner-Loebs was one of the best straight superhero books to come out of the post-Crisis era.

Bill K –

Yes. Gerber’s run starts toward the end of Essential Defenders vol 1, really hits its stride in vol 2 & I believe ends in vol 3 (which also includes David Anthony Kraft’s really neat Vera Gemini storyline).

Oh, I almost forgot Gerber’s Defenders run. Both Englehart and Gerber’s Defenders can be found in the Essential editions and are highly recommended. Gerber was the Grant Morrison of the 70s.

New Totals

We have 132 runs (and 31546 pts)

- 47 runs are set in the Marvel Universe (12350 pts)
- 12 runs are X-Titles (3359 pts)
- 2 runs are Ultimate titles (679 pts)
- 50 runs if you get Marvel plus Ultimate Universe plus Supreme Power (13084 pts)

- 35 runs are set in the DC Universe (9976 pts)
- 5 runs are Bat-Titles (566 pts)
- 10 are Vertigo comics (4424 pts)
- 40 runs if you get DC plus Vertigo sub-universe plus Plastic Man retcon (10196 pts)

- 6 runs are set in the Wildstorm Universe (1048 pts)
- 6 runs have female protagonists (1022 pts)

- 106 are superheroes or close enough (25179 pts)
- 26 are non-superhero (6367 pts)

Sorted by decade the first issue in the run was published, we have:

- 1980s (40 runs – 10248 pts)
- 1990s (31 runs – 7453 pts)
- 2000s (34 runs – 6807 pts)
- 1970s (17 runs – 4075 pts)
- 1960s (7 runs – 2611 pts)
- 1940s (2 runs – 299 pts)
- 1950s (1 run – 53 pts)

Sorted by associated creator:

- Grant Morrison (8 runs – 2864 pts)
- Stan Lee (5 runs – 2446 pts)
- Alan Moore (7 runs – 1902 pts)
- Chris Claremont (7 runs – 1874 pts)
- John Byrne (3 runs – 1809 pts)
- Garth Ennis (4 runs – 1579 pts)
- Warren Ellis (6 runs – 1337 pts)
- Keith Giffen (4 runs – 1328 pts)
- Jack Kirby (3 runs – 1322 pts)
- Neil Gaiman (1318 pts)
- Frank Miller (2 runs – 1199 pts)
- Brian Michael Bendis (5 runs – 1141 pts)
- Steve Ditko (2 runs – 1034 pts)
- James Robinson (921 pts)
- Brian K. Vaughan (2 runs – 854 pts)
- Ed Brubaker (5 runs – 851 pts)
- J. M. de Matteis (742 pts)
- John Cassaday (2 runs – 722 pts)
- Marv Wolfman (643 pts)
- George Perez (643 pts)
- Peter David (2 runs – 624 pts)
- John Ostrander (3 runs – 591 pts)
- Howard Porter (574 pts)
- Pia Guerra (547 pts)
- Kurt Busiek (2 runs – 541 pts)
- Geoff Johns (3 runs – 534 pts)
- Walt Simonson (514 pts)
- Alex Maleev (480 pts)
- Bryan Hitch (2 runs – 474 pts)
- Bill Willimgham (428 pts)
- Darick Robertson (418 pts)
- Mark Waid (2 runs – 378 pts)
- Dave Sim (370 pts)
- Gerhard (370 pts)
- Mark Millar (2 runs – 369 pts)
- Mark Bagley (364 pts)
- Roger Stern (2 runs – 334 pts)
- John Romita Jr. (3 runs – 331 pts)
- Paul Levitz (328 pts)
- Brent Anderson (323 pts)
- Jeff Smith (321 pts)
- Adrian Alphona (307 pts)
- Steve Gerber (2 runs – 276 pts)
- John Romita (270 pts)
- Denny O’Neil (2 runs – 261 pts)
- Peter Milligan (2 runs – 255 pts)
- Brothers Hernandez (236 pts)
- John McCrea (232 pts)
- Joss Whedon (229 pts)
- Roy Thomas (3 runs – 228 pts)
- David Mazzucchelli (211 pts)
- Tom and Mary Bierbaum (208 pts)
- Tom Mandrake (205 pts)
- Will Eisner (204 pts)
- Joe Kelly (202 pts)
- Steve Englehart (184 pts)
- Robert Kirkman (2 runs – 180 pts)
- Mike Mignola (179 pts)
- Frank Quitely (176 pts)
- Mike Baron (174 pts)
- Steve Rude (174 pts)
- Alan Davis (2 runs – 173 pts)
- Mike Allred (2 runs – 168 pts)
- Sean Phillips (2 runs – 163 pts)
- Neal Adams (162 pts)
- David Michelinie (152 pts)
- Bob Layton (152 pts)
- Mike Wieringo (150 pts)
- Brian Azzarello (150 pts)
- Eduardo Risso (150 pts)
- Kevin O’Neill (148 pts)
- Alan Grant (146 pts)
- Norm Breyfogle (146 pts)
- Michael Avon Oeming (134 pts)
- Paul Smith (133 pts)
- Marc Silvestri (133 pts)
- Christopher Priest (130 pts)
- Greg Rucka (122 pts)
- Paul Chadwick (120 pts)
- Joe Casey (117 pts)
- Mike Carey (114 pts)
- Peter Gross (114 pts)
- Ryan Kelly (114 pts)
- Sergio Aragonés (110 pts)
- Mark Evanier (110 pts)
- Jim Starlin (109 pts)
- Mark Gruenwald (107 pts)
- Jim Shooter (2 runs – 106 pts)
- Mike Grell (104 pts)
- Stuart Immonen (103 pts)
- Michael Gaydos (101 pts)
- Kazuo Koike (100 pts)
- Goseki Kojima (100 pts)
- Denys Cowan (99 pts)
- Matt Wagner (98 pts)
- Stan Sakai (98 pts)
- Terry Moore (96 pts)
- Chris Ware (95 pts)
- Doug Moench (95 pts)
- Jack Cole (95 pts)
- William Messner-Loebs (66 pts)
- Peter Bagge (65 pts)
- Len Wein (64 pts)
- Bernie Wrightson (64 pts)
- Fabian Nicieza (57 pts)
- JMS (55 pts)
- Ann Nocenti (55 pts)
- Laura Allred (55 pts)
- Dave Cockrum (54 pts)
- Gerry Conway (53 pts)
- Carl Barks (53 pts)
- Ben Templesmith (52 pts)
- Chuck Dixon (52 pts)
- Louise Simonson (51 pts)
- Kevin Smith (50 pts)
- Joe Quesada (50 pts)
- David Lapham (50 pts)
- Robert Loren Fleming (50 pts)

- 106 are superheroes or close enough (25179 pts)
- 60 are traditional superheroes (16088 pts)
- 46 are non-traditional superheroes (9081 pts)
- 14 are nonpowered superheroes (2296 pts)
- 10 are comedic superheroes (1854 pts)
- 47 are team books (11731 pts)
- 26 are non-superhero (6367 pts)

Josh Alexander

May 9, 2008 at 8:28 am

I thought X-Factor Volume #2 got 63 pts.

Marc Caputo, I agree.

Just look at all the studies and reference material available for other genre fiction like horror movies and science fiction novels. By comparision, superhero comics really show an appaling lack of reference material and research.

The comic book industry is too focused on the now and, to a lesser extent, on the founders and creators of iconic characters.

I’m reminded of a Hulk Encyclopedia that was published a few years ago during the Bruce Jones years, and the book was almost entirely devoted to Bruce Jones stuff with a smattering of Stan Lee. It barely mentioned Bill Mantlo or Peter David or Roy Thomas.

As a result, there are many half-forgotten treasures that most comic book fans have not read or sometimes even heard about. As a personal example, for many years I had no inkling that Gary Friedrich had done such amazing war stories in “Sgt. Fury”. Many fans today don’t even know about Messner-Loebs’s Flash or Ostrander’s Hawkworld or deMatteis’s Captain America, that aren’t even that ancient.

>>As a personal example, for many years I had no inkling that Gary Friedrich had done such amazing war stories in “Sgt. Fury”. Many fans today don’t even know about Messner-Loebs’s Flash or Ostrander’s Hawkworld or deMatteis’s Captain America, that aren’t even that ancient.

Well, if Marvel had the *decency* to issue an ESSENTIAL SGT FURY (the lack of which — along with an ESSENTIAL SUB-MARINER — is a pet peeve on mine, even though I’ve got a complete run other than #1), though come to think of it we wouldn’t get to Friedrich till probably midway through a 2nd volume, with Severin starting a couple of issues after that.

Ostrander’s HAWKWORLD hasn’t ever been reprinted either, to my knowledge. I presume the same is true of DeMattais’ CAPT AMERICA, another personal favorite of mine.

Rene:

What could be very interesting is if someone did what they did a few years back for Saturday Night Live – an oral history. That would be mind-blowing for the 70s Marvel, although with the loss of Gerber, probabaly not what it could have been.

Someone needs to get on this STAT!

Patrick Lemaire

May 9, 2008 at 11:45 am

I read so many comics but I like these lists (and the comments) as they point to comics I should know. I’m really interested in Ostrander’s HAWKWORLD, and Friedrich/Ayers/Severin’s SGT FURY as this isn’t the first time I hear good things about them. Plus I loved all the other comics Dan Bailey mentioned so there is little chance I won’t like them.

GREAT to see HATE! Does Eightball show up at some point???

Yes! Gerber’s Defenders! The single first place vote is mine, which I guess is to be expected given the pseudonym I chose. It’s true, though, as already noted, that the climax of the run is Bozos/Nebulon/Headmen.

Messner-Loebs Flash: better than Waid’s.

I think I still have one of those HATE t-shirts in a dresser drawer somewhere.
It seems to me that out here in the 100+ numbers we’re getting into people’s more personally cherished “special” books, as opposed to “consensus” books that everyone “knew” would place highly and not be embarrassing to vote for. (Well, not for everything, but a number of the books “out here” seem to fit that description.)

Finally, Wein/Wrightson’s Swamp Thing appears on the list. You’re definitely right on the art -this short run was Berni at some of his most macrbe. It’s too bad much of the 1970′s material, with its rich variety of genres, is overlooked. It would be a shame if something Kanigher/Kubert (Enemy Ace or Sgt. Rock) doesn’t make the final 28 spots.

Mike Loughlin

May 9, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Gerber’s Defenders is tremendous fun. I love how Dr. Strange is the one who keeps a cool head until the bozos story, when he basically says “screw this.”

Ostrander’s Hawkworld should be reprinted, but I doubt DC will bother with a series people had trouble fitting into (ugh) current continuity. The Ostrander Hawkwoman is my favorite comic book “tough” heroine, along with Big Barda. If you liked Hawkgirl on JLU, her personality came from the Hawkworld version.

I’d love to read the Messner-Loebs Flash, as I’ve read nothing but good things about it.

stephen cade

May 9, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Wow–All Star Squadron made it!

It was on my list.
I came across it near the end of the run, and eventually was able to get all the issues.
Roy Thomas did a wonderful job of using the Golden Age stories as source material and fleshing out the characters, backgrounds, and events. And he threw in some new ones as well.

Johnny Quick, Liberty Bell, Firebrand, Tarantula, Phantom Lady…

Brian Cronin

May 9, 2008 at 5:25 pm

I thought X-Factor Volume #2 got 63 pts.

Did I say that?

Oops!

It got 72 points.

LOVE The Walking Dead. Great stuff. That is all.

I’m really glad that Nicieza’s Thunderbolts made it even this high. I was worried that no one voted for it but me.

Everything prior to issue 50 was a bit of a mess, yes, but everything after was so well done.

Exploring the idea of heroism through the eyes of a character as flawed as Zemo was just fascinating to me. He’s Marvel’s best character right now and no one uses him.

Joe Gualtieri

May 9, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Did Busiek’s Thunderbolt’s make the list? I like Nicieza’s run* but #1-12 of the T-bolts is one of Marvel’s all time best. it’s criminal that only #1-4 have been collected.

*I’d consider it all one, despite the gap. after a brief bit, he picks up the main post #50 plot thread, which is the redemtion of Zemo, surely one of the most ambitious superhero stories ever. Why Nicieza doing that to a Neo-Nazi never attracted more attention to the book astounds me.

Hawkworld was amazing. Some people erroneously consider it just a “grim and gritty” Hawkman, but it’s so much more. For starters, the concept of alien policemen/envoys/diplomats on Earth is the sort of story engine that could have gone on forever. Katar and Shayera learning human customs and building personal lives on Earth also was amazing and pretty unique on superhero universes, where aliens usually are raised by humans from an early age, or study our society in secret.

It was also pretty interesting that they made Katar into the “rich kid” liberal fascinated by Earth’s democracy and human rights, while Shayera was the hard-line conservative that grew up in poverty. Man, screw continuity, that series started out great!

Hey, all right, Hate is here!

Bendis’ Avengers? Really? Wow.

I suffered through The Crossing and Heroes Reborn, but it was Bendis that finally ended my nearly 2-decade reading of the Avengers. I bought it out of habit for awhile, but ultimately realized that I was buying a book I hated and, most months, didn’t even read before filing it away. I love the Avengers, it’ll be nice when they finally come back in a few years.

Some great stuff here. I have a soft spot for Hawkworld because it was first time I managed to get an entire series of back issues, and just read it at pace I wanted to. For me it blew away the “all the good stuff is available in trade” myth away forever. And… for my money… the preceding Tim Truman mini-series was sensationally good. Best re-launch ever of a super hero? (Maybe not… but I’ve not come across one I prefer yet.)

And Zenith. How on earth did enough people get hold of it to make it a contender?? I came across it completely by accident in a shed load of 2000AD comics I read. I guess if it was made available in color trade it would zoom up the charts.

Yeah, Chris, Bendis’ Avengers just doesn’t work for me either. It’s not just his style of writing, but also his plots and storylines which turn me off.

All Star Squadron is like the LSH, but during WWII. Interesting and enjoyable, and I guess part of the fun also is seeing all those different characters interact with one another.

Definitely need to check out Nicieza’s Thunderbolts. I loved it when Busiek was on the title, but gave up towards the end of the run (since I got out comics for a brief period at that point).

I agree that Nicieza’s second run should be counted as part of this. The redemption of Zemo is some fantastic writing. I probably would have voted for it but I’m not comfortable voting for something I haven’t read a large percentage of.

I knew absolutely nothing about “Zenith.” I don’t think I’ve ever read any reprints of any of the original “Swamp Thing” run. I know I’ve never read “Hate” or “Walking Dead.” (Zombies just aren’t my thing.) I have some familiarity with each of the other runs, but the only one I even briefly considered for my ballot was “All-Star Squadron” — and I realized I’ve only done a lengthy reread of most of that run about once in the last 6 or 7 years, so it obviously wasn’t a “Top 10 Favorite” with me . . . although it would probably squeeze its way in to a “Top 100 Favorites” ballot if I ever got around to composing one!

Incidentally, I was reading T-Bolts regularly during Busiek’s run, and then I kept with it for at least a year or so after Nicieza took over . . . and eventually gave up. His writing on those characters just didn’t excite me. I’m very surprised it even made #137!

Wow this list of ten contains some of my favs. Zenith was my number two (after Animal Man) and I’ve already said elsewhere how much I love it so I won’t repeaty myself. Suffice to say while it is hard to get hold of the internet is a wonderful thing and I suspect many UK fans will visit this site and if you’re a UK fan most likely you have read 2000ad at some point and Zenith for a while there was the best thing in it (even better than Judge Dredd). I do think if it was available in the US in reprint it’d do even better in the future.

Hate is brillant and Messnor-Loeb Flash didn’t make my list as I resticted myself to one run per character but is my second fav Flash run its fantastic.

Anyway stop reading this in America and go track down 2000AD its well well worth it!

William Messner-Loebs’ run on The Flash would have made my Top 10. It was that good. The stories had a lot of what I used to call “Alan Moore moments.” Scenes that were very poignant yet were not overly heavy and depressing. A very good series.

Zenith is absolutely awesome. Arguably Morrison’s best work, in fact, which is saying a lot. If I’d put in any non-US stories, that and Nikolai Dante would both have made my list..

[...] alphabet of cool. It was a fun, postmodern superhero tale of a superhero in a time when doing …http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/05/08/top-158-comic-book-runs-138-129/Alphabet rubber stamps dooce ?Alphabet rubber stamps. Friday, December 7 2007 File Under: Daily [...]

Zenith was pretty good but NOT better than Judge Dredd.