Luke Cage History: From Hero for Hire to Hollywood
TV, Comic Books
Alan Coil also suggested this Top Five Month entry (check here to see an archive of all the top five lists featured so far), a look at the top five DC Comics acronyms!
H.I.V.E. (Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Extermination)
I’m not a huge fan of HIVE, but they are a pretty important villain organization, even if they seem to scream “trying a Marvel thing at DC,” don’t they?
5. S.T.R.I.P.E. (Special Tactics Robotic Integrated Power Enhancer)
That’s not even all that clever, is it?
4. OMAC (One Man Army Corps)
That’s an awesome acronym by Jack Kirby – sadly, it is dragged down by the association with the stupid robot things that made me so mad during the lead up to and including Infinite Crisis.
3. S.T.A.R. Labs (Scientific and Technological Advanced Research Laboratories)
See, now that is an acronym that really works, and STAR Labs has become an important part of the DC Universe – an omnipresent part, even!!
Just please forget STARCorps after you go on to the next number.
2. L.E.G.I.O.N. (Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operatives Network)
This was an amazing book, and now that it is over, I really wish more writers would use Vril Dox. He is such a great character.
And the name of LEGION even works as an acronym! It makes sense and everything!!
1. SHAZAM (Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles and Mercury)
* The wisdom of Solomon;
* The strength of Hercules;
* The stamina of Atlas;
* The power of Zeus;
* The courage of Achilles; and
* The speed of Mercury.
The greatest acronym in comics ever?
That’s the list!
Agree? Disagree? Let me know!
Comics Should Be Good accepts review copies. Anything sent to us will (for better or for worse) end up reviewed on the blog. See where to send the review copies.