10/9 – Curious Cat Asks…

Which superhero that has not already received a “Year One” mini-series would you most like to see receive the “Year One” treatment?

We3-5_edited.jpg

Hawkman. His history needs a breath of fresh storytelling.

At this point, none. I used to like them, but now I’m pretty sick of stories that either remix old stories or are written between old comic issues. i think Wolverine Origins and X:Men Legacy were the final straws for me.

Johnny Quick.

Sasquatch!

The whole of the JSA, done in a Sandman Mystery Theatre vein.

I agree with T, I think the Year One/writing between the old issues type of stories have been overdone. But if I have to pick, I’d say Hawkeye. Hawkman would be a good choice, too.

Oh, I know: QUASAR!

How about some villains? A number of Batman villains have gotten “Year One” specials/annuals/mini-series, and I think plenty of other villains could used the same treatment. I think with Barry Allen returning a number of the Flash rogues could use a Year One or “Secret History” one-shots recounting the villains’ greatest battles with Barry. I think Deathstroke: Year One could have potential, also.

But T. has a point — it’s so overdone that a lot of them are unnecessary and the concept is no longer exciting. Was the world really crying out for a Huntress Year One min-series?

doom patrol or at least robotman
perry white

and i love the jsa idea done in a sandman mystery theatre vein cisco

It’s not strictly necessary (in terms of fixing or re-explaining), but how good would a Captain America: First Tour type of miniseries be? It could start immediately after the supersoldier serum, showing Steve Rogers’ training and subsequent first mission, as well as the reaction from other soldiers before his reputation cemented? And it could end with Bucky’s introduction.

There’s nothing in the character’s history that would have to be contradicted, just clarified and sequenced. With the right creative team (by which I mean: Mark Waid or Ed Brubaker writing; or reaching outside the obvious, are there any comics writers who are big WWII buffs besides Garth Ennis?; and, let’s say Butch Guice drawing), it could be pretty groovy (and lay good groundwork for the upcoming movie).

Barry Allen.

Guy Gardner might be good, too, since it would also be a back-door ‘post-crisis crisis’ series…

Blackhawk

I’d like to see Wonder Woman: Year One, provided that year was 1942.

Lex Luthor. He always sid he’d be the world’s greatest hero if he didn’t have to kill Superman first. Let’s see him livign his life in Metropolis pre-Superman, see if just possibly he really would have done that, if he’s using Big Blue as an excuse for why he’s focused on revenge instead of anything else.

And, contractually, I need to second the Quasar nod.

I could actually sort of live with a Ray Palmer one. I’ve only ever liked him when he was wielding a sword or turned into a 16 year old, but I think he’d benefit from the concept more than most.

This one’s sort of out there, but how about a Guy Gardner: Year One, since he’s starring in the GLC series now? I think there may have been a few bits of his past, but as far as I recall, his history back around the time of the Crisis and even his first appearances before that haven’t been really explained since those stories originally appeared.

Feel free to correct me if my knowledge of GG origin stories are flawed.

was Time & Tide supposed to be Aquaman: Year One? if not, i want Aquadude: Year One. or maybe Deathstroke: Year One. or what about Lois Lane: Year One? going back to the baddies, why not a Rogues: Year One or a Joker: Year One.? okay, seriously though, back to my first choice – Aquaman: Year One.

The Creators of Superman: Year One by Brad Metzler, due entirely to his work on the charity auction to save that house in Cleveland

Bernard the Poet

October 9, 2008 at 11:38 am

I seem to remember they did a Captain America Year One in a prestige format for his Fiftieth anniversary – it had some very nice artwork from Kevin Maguire

So what about doing Cap’s first year after coming out of the iceberg instead – you can steal the plot of ‘Due South’ and ‘Star Trek IV’ and really play up his naivety. It would also be a really good opportunity to see the Black Widow in her old purple fishnets costume.

Damn, I should have said the Atom! Guy Gardner had a “Year One” in like issues 13-16 of his title in 1993-94.

Guy Gardner had a “Year One” in like issues 13-16 of his title in 1993-94.

And now we know why no one knows Guy’s origin. ;-)

How about The Inferior Five done in Sandman Mystery Theatre format? :-D
But seriously…I’d like to see Merryman and the gang in something/anything.

Not that it would sell (at all), but I personally would love an Animal Man: Year One mini. I think there’s tons of potential there for him learning to use his powers and getting the guts to ask his lady to marry him.

Vandal Savage. Galactus would be pretty awesome, too.

the Phantom-Longbox

October 9, 2008 at 12:32 pm

If you’re going to go with “unused” original plot concepts, I’d like to see:

22-pages of him fighting badgers and eating salmon and stuff.

Oh, and for DC; VANDAL SAVAGE : year one. (wherein he’s still a caveman).
22-pages of him hitting other cavemen with bones, fighting mastadons and dragging women back to his cave.

Otherwise, it’s all been done to death.

X_the_Phantom_Longbox__

the Phantom-Longbox

October 9, 2008 at 12:33 pm

gah.
darn you Buttler… you posted it while I was typing!
(oddly enough, I was also thinking of the big “G” but they DID do that story)

X_the_Phantom_Longbox__

Inhumans: Year One. We’d read about how Black Bolt rose from outcast to king, how the royal family brought their civilization to great heights, and how Maximus nearly destroyed all they had built.

Plastic Man: Year One. His backstory hasn’t been fooled with too much, and it would be just a little different than most of the other ones floating around.

Adventures of Captain America by Nicieza and Maguire is great.

There need to be a Wonder Woman: Year One, Why didn’t dc think of that? oh and possible someone other then Gail writing it, not that i mind her writing. I’m loving SS.

That’s right, it was Nicieza! Thank you, Matt, that was driving me bonkers.

I’d like to see them stop for awhile. Metamorpho Y1 was utterly pointless, Teen Titans Y1 had nice art but was superfluous. They should only be done when necessary, and the brand has been devalued. Let’s have more “Secret Origins” and just put Year One down.

I’d love to see an Oracle Year One.

Lady Blackhawk. I think there implicitly *has* to be a pretty damn fascinating backstory there. A young woman who becomes a top-notch pilot in the late ’30s, then tries to make her way on to the most elite air squadron in the free world (and which, incidentally, clearly seems to be “by invitation only, and the roster’s closed.”) Simply *trying* to do such a thing is pretty remarkable. *Succeeding* is amazing! There’s gotta be a great story there.

Someone else mentioned Captain America, and I agree. The question I’d put at the root of such a story is: “We all know Captain America was a super *soldier* pretty much from Day One… but how did he become a great *leader*?” That’s not something you can get from a serum, and while he got useful training, it’s also not something you can necessarily teach right out of the box.

I like the way Phantom Longbox thinks. Mainly because there’s just not enough salmon eating in comics these days. But yeah, I can’t really think of a character that still desperately needs a year one, or that wouldn’t probably not benefit very much from one (I can see Plas not working well).

Although, I’d kind of like to see Dr. Strange, year one, bridging the gap between his days as a jerk/convert to the Ancient One and his days as a cold as ice Sorcerer Supreme. It’s the whole Batman thing; we rarely see him break a sweat, so that makes his days when he was still learning palpable. Maybe they did that and I didn’t notice, since my history post Essential Strange vol. 1 is pretty hazy. Ultimate Dr. Strange seemed like that, but I reject that version because he doesn’t have the cloak of levitation, and you just can’t be Dr. Strange without that. I’m sorry.

Also, Nightcrawler in the circus. Just Nightcrawler in the circus. That’s sort of a year one, right?

Deadman, Year One.

Seems to me DC has a rich vein of circus and carnival running through it, especially in Bat territory.

It would be fun to see an alive Boston Brand tight-wire walk through this heritage with lots of sly winks and nods to the future.

@Phantom-Longbox

please tell me this is a joke:

“Wolverine: Year One (wherein he’s a real Wolverine, before he mutates into a man).
22-pages of him fighting badgers and eating salmon and stuff.”

they did not change wolverine’s origin this way did they?

i so long for the days of jim shooter running marvel….

I’d like to see a Year One: Year One.

Right after the Big Bang we’d get 22 pages of muddly computer colored images of molten lava and rocks as the world forms.

Forbush Man: Year One

Strictly speaking, wouldn’t “Guy Gardner, Year One” and “Ray Palmer, Year One” be miniseries about infants? As a Sugar & Spike fan, I’d be okay with that.

…Okay, I’d love to see “Alan Scott, Year Zero,” which would mix adventures of two-fisted engineer Alan with the journey of how the lantern itself got to him. In the first GL story, the narration says that it passed through many hands, bringing good luck to some and bad luck to bad guys: I’d like to see that. Maybe O’Shaunnessy, Cairo, and Gutman from The Maltese Falcon first persued the lantern–if not them, then other Warner Bros-type characters.

Sounds like the beginning of a James Michener novel.

Blue Beetle: Year One. It would cover the first years of Dan Garrett and Ted Kord, and end with Jamie Reyes’ origin story.

I’ll second (third?) the praise of that early 90s ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA miniseries- the art was very nice, it did a good job of capturing the geeky learning curve of a young Steve Rogers while also suggesting what he would someday become, and I liked the supporting characters it introduced. I wouldn’t mind seeing that kind of series as a regular monthly.

Vincent Paul Bartilucci

October 9, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Banshee.

Seriously. As long as they can resist the temptation to feature a heretofore unrevealed “first” meeting between Sean and Wolverine that pre-dates GS X-Men #1, I’d buy it and I don’t buy any Marvel Comics anymore.

I remember reading a Neil Gaiman interview years ago where he asked, “What does a non-practicing surgeon do to get the money to travel to Tibet in the 1950s?” He imagined it involved him doing back alley abortions & such, but couldn’t imagine Marvel ever going for it. If Neil ever wanted to dust off that story pitch, it might make some interesting reading.

Hmm… a story about a Earth-born Green Lantern learning the ropes in galactic adventures in alien planets written by someone who actually gets edgier science-fictional concepts (real weird alien societies, for instance, as opposed to just humans in rubber-suits). Not sure if Hal Jordan ever had these kinds of stories in the Silver Age. I know Kyle Rayner didn’t, because he was the only GL when he was introduced, with no Corps.

“please tell me this is a joke:

22-pages of him fighting badgers and eating salmon and stuff.”

they did not change wolverine’s origin this way did they?

i so long for the days of jim shooter running marvel….”

From what I understand, that was supposed to have been Wolverine’s original origin back in the day. It was in an issue of Alter Ego or Back Issue or one of those Twomorrows magazines. Had a piece about the creation of the character.

And yes, I’m glad they didn’t go that route. As convoluted as Wolverine’s story has become, retconning him to have once been an actual wolverine who mutated to human form would have been countless shades of lame.
-r-

PS – I have to second the call for a Doom Patrol or Ray Palmer Year One treatment. If we’re including Marvel in this, then those would be trumped by a vote for a Power Man & Iron Fist Year One. Luke Cage’s first year alone would be fascinating, but I think exploring this unlikely duo’s first year of working together would be a fun ride.

Forget Earthborn. Kilowog: Year One! Ya poozers.

I’ll second the motion for a Doom Patrol or Ray Palmer Year One treatment. But if we’re going to include Marvel in this exercise, then those votes are trumped by a Power Man & Iron Fist Year One. Luke Cage’s first year alone would be fascinating, but the first year of this unlikely duo working together would be a fun ride.
-r-

I know a lot of Ted Knight’s early career was covered, but I’m sure there’s enough material if James Robinson ever wants to write Starman: Year One.

Hmmm.

From DC:
Deathstroke
Zatanna
The Guardian (yeah, I’m being serious)
Lex Luthor
Lois Lane

From Marvel:
Dr. Strange
Hawkeye and Mockingbird
Banshee (that one’s a GREAT idea!)
Jarvis

Tom Fitzpatrick

October 9, 2008 at 5:11 pm

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

THE SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ta daaaaa!!!

FunkyGreenJerusalem

October 9, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Elongated Man: Year One
Not sure if it would pre-Sue or not, he got married in his second appearance, but I’d be keen for this one!
Maybe with his first actual detective case or something – I don’t think his actual origin deserves fleshing out.

The Sandman: Year One
It’s probably been done before, but have we seen a good look at Wesley Dodd’s formative years?
Maybe about his learning in the Orient, the slow death of his father, the arrival of the dreams and the realisation of what he has to do to be rid of them… Sandman Mystery Theater is set very early in his career, but he had been operating before then, just not as overtly.
Either that or it could be about Morpheus when he was a floating crystal.

Martian Manhunter: Year One
Has he every had one? Have we seen much of his life before he came to Earth?

Prez: Year One.
It could be about the first year of his presidency, it could be about how he became president, OR it could be about him when he was one, organising the other kids in the neighbourhood/nursery into a political force to get more cookies or some such.

Adam Strange: Year One
Before he and the missus are an item.
James Robinson and Peter Snejberg on this one!
Hell, James Robinson and Peter Snjeberg on every damn one of these!

the Phantom-Longbox

October 9, 2008 at 5:53 pm

@nadir,

Believe it or not…
Wolverine was ORIGINALLY supposed to be a MUTATED WOLVERINE.
Not a man.

That’s how Claremont was writing him for the first few issues of “All-New” X-Men.
In fact, one scene, when the team is captured by Larry Trask (I think it was Trask), and subjected to genetic tests, the science-guys couldn’t make head’s nor tails of Wolvie.

“Is he a mutant?”
“Yeah, but he’s nothing like the others.”
To paraphrase the exchange.

That’s not too outlandish, seeing as how Jessica Drew was originally going to be a genetically altered SPIDER, and NOT a woman given spider abilities.

All this was back in the 1970′s.

Enjoy the nightmare that never was.

X_the_Phantom-Longbox__

Adam Strange sounds really fun if it gets the right team. Play it like the Diggle series except keep it completely isolated. Have back up stories featuring ULTRA the Multi Alien and other obscure little space heroes.

I could see a series about the Atom also working really well. Anxious to see what Robinson does with him and we could get some groovy goofy silver-age goodness here.

I think Supergirl could be done well, also, even though it’s yet to happen. Can’t think of a creative team at the moment but there’s potential in the character.

My first choice would have to be a chance at seeing Waid and Ramos on Impulse again tho.

I’d also love to see the Englehart/Staton GLC as GLC Year one in a fresh take. Lots of interesting personalities involved there.

‘Mazing Man!

Blue Beetle Year One starring Dan Garret. In spite of his big legacy, Dan is a character who’s gotten extremely little time in the spotlight since DC acquired the rights to him.

Maybe a Captain Atom Year One, too. He has a great origin and we could all use a reminder of the days when he was a good character.

FunkyGreenJerusalem

October 9, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I remember being excited soon after he originally lost his adamatnium, when Alpha Flight were testing him, and they realised that the adamantium was the only thing keeping him as he was in terms of powers, and that his actual mutations hadn’t finished yet – with the strong implication that he wasn’t going to stay human.
I thought that could have made for some great stories.
Instead, he just lost his nose.

Did you read the Starman issues he was in that Robinson and Snjeberg did?
It was gold.
So was their Space Cabbie.

Space Cabbie should totally have an on-going – he could be like Doctor Who.

FunkyGreenJerusalem

October 9, 2008 at 7:12 pm

What?
You want DC to use the Dikto characters as Dikto created them and as they were when DC brought them, and to stop either changing them, killing them, or turning them into villains?
Crazy talk.

Silver Surfer. Not his first year on Earth, but Year One after Norrin Radd became the Surfer – cruising around, working for Galactus. I think that would be a fun read.

John Stewart: Year One — Ater John’s one adventure with Hal Jordan in the GL/GA series, what happened to this architect and social justice sort equipped with the universe’s greatest weapon…and theoretically barred from using it most of the time?

Harley Quinn: Year One: A self-deluded shrink who’s made the jump into being “Puddin’s” right-hand gal finding out what it really means to be a Batman rogue and an Arkhamite. Plus, her first meetings with the likes of Poison Ivy, Batman himself, and so forth. What was it like the first time the Joker killed someone in front of her, the first time she was booked and processed like the loonies she was previously in charge of, and how did the villains react to a member of the Asylum staff ending up an inmate?

Neron: Year One: The DCU’s super-Satan tempts Adam and Eve, meets Vandal Savage in his caveman days, and generally helps create the evil of the DCU.

And at Marvel….

Namor: Year One — I think the time is ripe to revisit Namor’s 1940s days as a teenage rebel, a hybrid outcast in one society, a super-villain in another. The series might end with his deciding to fight Nazxis or with his first encounter with Captain America. (The Human Torch battles of the 1940s could be, like, issue #2 or #3.)

Human Torch: Year One: Johnny Storm just got crazy superpowers, and is insisting on his “secret’ identity in Glenwood in a fit of self-delusion. How did Johnny perceive his first encounters with Spider-Man? How did a young man deal with Ben Grimm’s transformation and bitterness, ad why did he start pranking the Thing anyway? And just what made the Wizard pick Johnny over the other heroes of the day when he went crooked? Plus, the explosive first meetings between Johnny and J. Jonah Jameson, the Human Torch’s ill-fated time-travel journey to meet his own parents as he sorts out his newfound powers and celebrity, and the untold story of the friends he lost when he revealed his powers by melting that car to fly off back in FF #1 when the world hadn’t heard of the team in the first place.

Kang: Year One: Follow a bored futurite into his past as Rama-Tut, then to the far-flung future as he builds his identity as the greatest warlord of all…as well as getting his founding of the Young Avengers from the man’s own perspective. What turned a callow adventurer into a tyrant with ambitions to rule all existence?

Mystique: Year One: For heaven’s sake, we STILL don’t know where she was when she discovered her powers and what really turned her into the maniacal terrorist she is today. What happens when a 19th century girl finds out she can be anyone except herself? It could be Jane Austen meets Heroes if played properly.

Kingpin: Year One: Since the Kingpin mini is pretty much non-continuity for all sorts of reasons, how about seeing Wilson Fisk come of age with the 1960s superheroes and carve out an empire amid things like the fall of Count Nefaria and the Maggia. We’d see Richard Fisk’s youth, Vanessa’s finding out what her husband really is, and how Fisk established himself as a “legitimate” businessman in a corporate world with people like Tony Stark, Norman Osborn, and Roxxon Oil’s Hugh Jones among others. Plus: who was the Kingpin’s first chief assassin, back before Bullseye and Elektra and the rest?

Grim Reaper Year One: You’re Eric Williams, black sheep of a dysfunctional family, and petty Maggia thug in Las Vegas. And you’ve just gotten a telegram curtly informing you that your brother Simon, who you hate and idolize at once, and boasted about to your fellow mooks, has died a repentant supervillain. See Eric’s first encounter with the Avengers trying to get answers and how it embittered him, how he met Ultron-4 and got his first scythe, being set down the path of madness and evil…and of what happened when he quit the Maggia, how he nearly died and got that scar on his face from Avengers #160.

And at Marvel….

And elsewhere….

Midnighter and Apollo: Year One: That year after Bendix betrayed them, when they had to adapt to living rough, having no pasts, finding out just how far love could take them together on the run.

Buffy: The First Slayer: Who was she before the original Watchers transformed her, and what demons did she battle — both interior and exterior — to foudn the line. Also featuring the debut of the second Slayer and the story of what finally ended the First Slayer’s brief career, setting the grim pattern of the entire line before it was broken by Buffy Summers, millennia later. Plus: The First Slayer’s side of her dreamtime encoutners with the Californian Slayer who would one day change everything!

Giles Year One: Ripper: At last, the story of Giles’s firs encounter with the Watchers’ Cuncil, and how he fell in with and then fell out with Ethan Rayne’s circle of mages in 1970s punk-era London. Featuring the villainy of Eyghon the Somnambulist, Ethan Rayne, and Rupert’s first encounter with a vampire!

Fath: One By One: The sad story of Faith’s Watcher, Kakistos, and a troubled young girl gaining powers she was never ready to have. Plus, how Faith’s training was badly derailed by the First Evil, unbeknownst to her. End with Faith’s version of her first encounters with Buffy and the Scooby Gang.

The Wonderous Wasp; Year One. Back in those days she was the Marvel Universe’s Paris Hilton, and with no Comics Code around, seeing her flighty antics could be hella fun.

Nighthawk: Year One is the obvious answer

Well I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again The Wasp (wow how chuffed was I too see someone else going for this!). I think there’s a rich origin there that just hasn’t been mined. Not only is there the Paris Hilton young starlet element BUT no top of that the dark tale of her father being killed by an alien monster from another dimension. This drives her into the arms of father figure, who is looking for a replacement for his dead wife. This father figure then changes her body chemistry so that she can be reduced in size just as he’s developing the ability to increase his size. There’s a lot to play with there.

Plus poor old Jan has never had even a one shoot so she’s due.

Dial H For Hero and Hourman would do me.

@Funky:
Captain Atom is coming back in the pages of ‘Superman’ I’m guessing Post-FC

@DanCJ

Lobo: Year One was already written by Ala Grant and published in [url=http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Lobo_Annual_Vol_2_3]Lobo Annual #3[/url]

Funky,

John Ostrander showed some of J’Onn J’Onzz’s Martian life in the Martian Manhunter ongoing. Issues 0 and 33-36 focused on his pre-Earth days. It wasn’t in the form of a Year One-type narrative, but it was very good.

I think a late ’30s-set series with Alan Scott Green Lantern or Jay Garrick Flash would be pretty cool.

You know what’s ironic? Very few YEAR ONE storylines actually span a year in the character’s life. Batman: Year One is about the only one I can think of that explicity does so. Most really only cover a couple months at most.

FunkyGreenJerusalem –

You know, Ditko actually DISLIKED the portrayal of Blue Beetle in Justice League International. His words were something like “They turned him into a clown”.

So any argument of using characters like Ditko “intended” is suspicious, since he wasn’t hot about the way DC has used Ted Kord from the beginning.

Jessica Jones: Year One

Farty the Clown

Y’know, I suggested the JSA Year One because I thought it was actually marketable and could make for a good story. But, to add to the “stuff I’d like to see but which would hemorrhage money” pile, howzabout these two:

* A “Jack Kirby: Year One” mini, by Michael Chabon (or is that just a subplot from Kavalier & Klay?)

* “Red Skull: Year One”, by Garth Ennis, with the Skull getting involved with Nazi Party intrigue, turning from faithful ideologue into power-mad megalomaniac and participating in some very evil shit

Dan Garrett wasn’t a ditko character anyway. Barring some pretty weird appearances in Len Wein’s BB series, he’s only appeared in JLA Year One to get roughed up by some aliens.

John Stewart and Harley Quinn Year ones sound dandy.

FunkyGreenJerusalem

October 12, 2008 at 7:11 pm

They did it to all of the Dikto characters, hence my joke.

That said, Ted Kord is awesome, even if he doesn’t beat up on the hippies.

Dirk Anger: Year One

ryan the lowan – i know you posted a few days ago…but there already was an “oracle – year one”…it was in batman chronicles #5 (http://www.comicvine.com/the-batman-chronicles-oracle-year-one-born-of-hope/37-75531/)…it’s one of my all-time favorite books ever…and while i would like to see the story expanded to a mini it really does stand well on its own and doesn’t really need it

I know I said Dirk Anger: Year One, and that would be awesome by the way, but in all seriousness, I would love to see Catman: the Lost Year covering the time between when Catman appeared in Green Arrow and his journey to the kick ass anti-Batman he’s become.