Guess Who Is the “Fallen”!

Marvel released a teaser for their one-shot that follows the release of Siege #4, called “Fallen,” along with the solicit info…

FALLEN (Not Final Title)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
(W) To Be Announced
(A) Tom Raney
Cover by Leinil Yu

The SIEGE has ended and taken its toll on both sides of the battle field. The event seven years in the making has claimed many lives, and in this, its final chapter, a universe comes together to mourn (CLASSIFIED). The shocking death that ended the fight and gave birth to a new Heroic Age is remembered as a writer (CLASSIFIED) returns to lead the farewells.

This guessing game might be a little bit weak, as the character seems pretty clearly to be Sentry, and the writer sure would seem to be Paul Jenkins (heck, this exact creative team did a Secret Invasion one-shot, right?), but I could be wrong (unlike my clearly correct identification of the first Secret Avengers tease as The Beast).

So what’s your guess?

Death of the Sentry to pave the way for another blond god superman-like character MARVELMAN! Yeah, I say it’s Sentry.

Are they incorporating MM into the Marvel Universe? Don’t have a problem with that per se, but I (and I expect many others) would rather see The Silver Age and The Dark Age completed first.

Yeah, looks like Sentry to me. Course, after Siege #2, I wouldn’t be mourning the dude.

Ummmm…I got nothing.

But why would anyone be surprised by Sentry? I’m only following the event and mainstream Marvel via CBR and that’s the only thing that makes sense.

But would Sentry dying really be that big a deal? The universe would come together to mourn? I don’t know.

So lets kill him and find out.

Hank Pym, he is the scienist supreme, his wife died in the last one, and it would explain why the mighty team is not coming back.

And Marvel hates him.

but yes it is the sentry

If the writer is Jenkins, at least they’re letting him send off (what I think is) his character in some way, especially after it’s been bastardized eight ways from Sunday since the first mini-series.

Tom Fitzpatrick

March 2, 2010 at 6:42 am

Could be Quicksilver (aka Pietro).

its definitely Pepper Potts

Maybe it’s Osborn? I’d mourn if he died. I’m already mourning at the prospect of not being able to watch him be a total bastard every month post-Dark Avengers.

i guess Herc is already dead, huh? seems like one mythological character could kick the bucket in another mythological character’s event mini, right? OH WELL yeah then i guess it’s Sentry since that hair looks relatively long and revealing the writer would reveal the character. not too many other characters are that closely connected to a modern writer… unless it’s Luke Cage wearing a wig, and then we all know the writer would be Bendis.

If it really is Sentry, I hope they make this death actually count. I don’t want to see him again in a few years…or my lifetime, for that matter.

No matter who it is, that’s a pretty sweet cover.

the Sentry seems to be the obvious choice but the thing says shocking. so i am going with either Norman as payback for all he has done or maybe Lokie but going with Norman .

Probably for the best.

The Sentry has longer hair and it seems kind of stupid to kill him! I say it’s quicksilver! Bendis would be jut doing it to piss people off

comicbookreader

March 2, 2010 at 8:29 am

Maybe it’s Osborne, and the image is explained by the fact that he meets his maker when falling into a vat of hair relaxer.

It’s Forbush-Man, obviously.

With that hair it’s not Norman. I’m thinking Pym Then there can be a story about saving/resurrecting him & Wasp within a year or so.

Man, I really hope it’s Sentry. They should have never used him after the initial mini. Well, and the Age of Sentry mini, which was awesome.

Brevoort said 3 deaths. Two of them obvious. Ares was the not-so-obvious ones.

Obvious deaths to come would be Osborn and Sentry. This is Sentry. It’s weird to think that he gets such a heroic sendoff after how low Bendis has taken him in the last couple of Dark Avengers.

He’s basically the druggie religious fraud version of Booster Gold for the MU now.

Its Steve Rogers

Its gonna suck when you find out beast isn’t in the secret avengers….

Who’s hands are those holding the body?
Dr. Doom
Spider-Man
Thor
Someone wearing all black?
Black Widow? It looks like her wrist-thingies…

Omar Karindu, with the power of SUPER-hypocrisy!

March 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

The Sentry’s death would have a lot more impact if Bendis hadn’t shown him being killed with zero effect about a four times in Dark Avengers.

Splint Chesthair

March 2, 2010 at 10:23 am

It looks like the “pallbearers” on that cover are Spidey, Thor, Mr. Fantastic, Black Widow and…Dr. Doom? If that is Doom, it kind of throws the whole guessing game out of whack. Why would Doom mourn the Sentry, Hank Pym, or any other hero? Why would he care when he’s partially responsible for the Siege in the first place? Why would he ever join that accursed fool Richards in any outward display of emotional weakness? To what end does this simpering display serve Doom? Allow the commoners their tears, their wailing, their rent garments, but Doom is above emotion! To Doom, and to Doom alone, shall the final mysteries of this childish etching be revealed! Offer forth an answer, Marvel Comics! End your suffering now! Submit to the will of your superior! SO COMMANDS DOOM!

Splint Chesthair: Doom is getting that close to the sentry to extract a sample of his DNA and do magickal science experiments on it.

DOOOOM!

That black hand is probably dark blue and Mr. Fantastic.

I hope it’s Sentry. And that he STAYS dead!

Best,
Hunter (Pedro Bouça)

My thoughts that its quicksilver. The Sentry was made by Scarlet witch’s fractured mind therefore it is his responsibility to stop the sentry and in doing so he dies

Paul Jenkins makes the most sense as he was worked into the actual background of the Sentry in the comic. I think Bendis wrote Jenkins in as a character at some point. So a writer leading the farewells could be quite literal.

The Sentry sounds like a good choice, and I wouldn’t miss him at all. I don’t want it to be Pym because there would be too much temptation to bring him back and I want somebody to stay dead for a change.

I’ll guess Namor, mainly because nobody else has and he’s at least a fairly big name who might get them some national press killing off. Although I just saw Marvel getting national press for Spider-man getting fired for, what, the seventeen billionth time, so that might not be a big factor…

@Mary: I’m with you, worried about the possibility of Hank Pym (who Slott’s done great work with), to kind of bookend Janet’s death that moved Secret Invasion-era into Dark Reign-era. And his “important role” in the Age of Heroes could be that of a heroic sacrifice.

That said, there’s no one writer whose return to Pym would give up the mystery, like Jenkins and Sentry. And The Sentry’s pretty much GOTTA be put down at this point – or at least irrevocably changed into The Void (hey, a good bad guy’s hard to find).

So I guess what I’m saying is, expect Sentry, but don’t be shocked if Hank kicks it near the end, too.

Splint Chesthair

March 2, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Looking at it a little closer now, the character’s hair appears to be too short to be the Sentry as we’ve been seeing him lately, and it looks like Doom (?) could be holding a cape or a mask. Plus, the solicit says the writer is “returning,” and Jenkins has been working for Marvel within the past year.

My guess now is that the dead guy is Steve Rogers, and the writer will be Stan Lee. Cap is the only guy I can think of who would have the mutual respect of Thor, Spidey, Black Widow, Reed Richards and Doom. If he dies during Siege, it won’t be in costume, so it makes sense to have someone holding his Captain America mask on the cover to identify him right away. The original Captain America sacrificing himself could conceivably be the catalyst for the “Heroic Age.” It would also give Cap a more fitting send-off than being assassinated on his way to court on charges of treason.

Splint Chesthair

March 2, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Oh, also, Stan Lee hasn’t written anything for Marvel since that lousy “Last FF Story” a few years ago, and he hasn’t written Captain America in a long, long time. It was Stan and Jack who brought Cap back for good after WWII, one of them should be the one to close the book on him.

Bucky. That way long term continuity would be set aright.

Sentry, in a moment of clarity, begs someone to put him down. Someone does, Osborn has no heavy hitter and has to give up the fight.

Lord Paradise

March 2, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Killing Steve Rogers now would be… insane? I have no words for how stupid that would be. Also, it won’t happen.

Not particularly original, but Sentry. They can only push the crazed drug addict angle for so long before he either reforms, goes full-fledged villian, or dies. Reformed, he has the Superman problem of not having any credible sparring parners that don’t also melt his teammates in the first 12 seconds of the fight, only much more so, because the Marvel U. is comparatively underpowered. Plus, he’d have a pretty long road back at this point, and not a whole lot of fans rooting for him anyway. He makes a bad villian because he’s both too overpowered and too unfocused to be much more than a one note threat.

Death is really the easiest and probably best way to deal with him.

I’m not even really following the event and I guessed the Sentry.

Honestly, I don’t mean this with any snark, but does anyone actually care about the Sentry aside from Paul Jenkins and Brian Bendis? I’ve always thought of him as one of those characters whose creators love way more than the audience– much like the Vision, Red Tornado, etc.

cactusjac2000

March 2, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Christ, I just don’t care anymore. Does EVERY crossover have to have some death memorial attached to it?

Splint Chesthair

March 2, 2010 at 2:41 pm

D’oh, I guess I’m wrong about Cap, given that he’s part of that “Avengers Prime” miniseries by Bendis that’s supposed to fill in the gap between Siege and Avengers #1. There goes that crazy idea.

“I’ve always thought of him as one of those characters whose creators love way more than the audience– much like the Vision”

Vision is my favorite Avenger, and while I can’t speak for everyone, I have talked with plenty of other Avengers fans who love Vision as well. It’s not Vision’s fault that John Byrne had robot penis envy and had to castrate the character in order to satisfy his own unrequited lust for Wanda.

I’m going to go with Hank Pym being the victim and Stan Lee as the returning writer. And then we’ll see Hank and Jan re-appear as ghost detectives for the fifth relaunch/spinoff, Ghost Avengers.

If they are bringing back a classic Avengers writer I would like Englehart. Maybe the dead guy is John Byrne! Englehart would love that, I bet.

Willie Everstop

March 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm

It’s either Mr. Immortal, Jean Grey, or Doctor Doom.

That metal hand in the picture seems a little too shiny to be Doom. Maybe Colossus?

Sue Storm.

You know, the more I think about it the more I like my Namor pick. The pallbearers (if Doom is among them) fit at least as well as they do for anyone else, he doesn’t have his own book these days, and as one of the first Marvel heroes his death carries a nice, hefty symbolic weight. (And since DC and Marvel tend to follow the same steps these days, it’d be just like killing off the Martian Manhunter…)

That would presumably make Byrne the classic writer to go with, right?

I personally think the teaser image that everyone thinks is Beast is really one of the Warwolves from Excalibur.

Isn’t Namor supposed to be a part of the X-Men books for a while longer?

I suppose that could be misdirection.

I hink it’s the Sentry, but in the image I think it’ll be him as just Robert Reynolds

Dave (No the other one)

March 2, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I think that hand everyone seems to think is Dr. Doom is actually supposed to be Iron Man. As for the dead guy… my first guess was Clint Barton, but I think I remember seeing a post-Siege solicit or interview explicitly stating he was alive. It could be Hank Pym, but I’d be really sad if it were; Dan Slott’s been doing amazing work with him over in Mighty Avengers. At this rate I wouldn’t mind a Pym solo title if Slott were writing it.
It needs to be a character that’s been in Siege, if it comes out of left field it’ll look weird. Unfortunately, the short length of Siege doesn’t lead to a lot of build up, half the cast hasn’t really ‘participated’ yet.

I’m going to go to left field and say it’s Balder.

Aunt May.

Alan Coil nailed it. S’gotta be Bucky. There’s only room enough for one Captain America.
And it’s not like poor Bucky’s not used to being dead anyways.

My first thought for the metal hand was Collossus, which led to wonder why him…

Therefore my assuredly correct guess for the corpse is MAGNETO!

No real justification as I gave up the X-Men line about 18 months ago, but still, it could work.

Hank and Jan as ghost detectives. That made me chuckle.

Some guy named Dave said: “I think that hand everyone seems to think is Dr. Doom is actually supposed to be Iron Man.”

I think this might be accurate.

It’s not going to be Namor because Fraction’s using him in Uncanny and he’s set up too much stuff for it to just go away. It’s obviously not going to be Bucky as much as some of you people want that. I don’t THINK it’s going to be Hank. He’s the most interesting he’s been in decades, after all, and I doubt they’d waste that lightly, though with only one more Avengers book to name and Avengers: Academy more rumored than a Slott book, it’s tough to say. Context is key!

Sentry, on the other hand, can’t come back from as far as he’s gone. Either he gets the heroic sacrifice or he’s full on bad guy for the Heroic Age. I’m guessing he gets the sacrifice to pave the way for Miracleman.

Are they holding the Sentry’s hair?

Willie Everstop

March 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm

New Sentry Brand Shampoo: It will leave your hair smelling like a million exploding sunrises.

It would make a kind of symmetric sense that it’s Quicksilver– wasn’t Wanda’s death one of the things that kicked off this current, Bendis-driven Marvel Age? Also, Scott Harris– I wasn’t even reading THE AVENGERS in the early 90s, but your “John Byrne penis envy” remark made me laugh. (:

That’s a gauntleted hand at the top (you can tell by the knuckle joints) – so that’s either Doom or Iron Man, not Colossus.

Sentry seems the obvious choice (especially with the reference to the writer), but Bucky makes a great deal of sense as well (gets rid of that pesky extra Captain America, constitutes the Heroic Act that ushers in the Heroic Age, and restores him to the status quo of Bucky being dead – which, let’s face it, was the defining characteristic of Bucky that most of us grew up with).

I don’t know that Quicksilver dying would be shocking enough. Namor or Magneto probably would be, but they don’t make the same narrative sense that Sentry or Bucky would.

comicbookreader – Damn, you had me laughing out loud just as my boss was walking by. Norman meeting his end in a vat of Hair Relaxer – that’s freakin’ Gold man!

It’s Hank Pym. The hands reaching for him are Janet Van Dyne’s, representing him passing from the world of heroes into death with her.

[…] the rumors of the Sentry’s demise floating all around, I thought it would be nice to look back at the origins of the character, more specifically, the […]

Smartest Man Alive

March 5, 2010 at 2:22 pm

It’s obviously Captain America. Steve Rogers being dead would absolutely make sense after this big conflict. Imagine the impact that would have on characters like Tony Stark and Bucky. I’m excited just thinking about the possible stories they could write.

I have another great idea if they go that route. How about they have Punisher be Captain America, but just for like one story?

I think it’s Judas Traveller. That would really shake the MU.

So happy to see the Sentry go, HATE HIM! HATE! HIM HATE HIM!

word up it’s not the Beast, it’s Black Panther

It’s Tony Stark, and the silver hands are War Machine’s. The writier is probably Matt Fraction.

It’s obviously Jubilee! HAVE THEY NO SOULS! WHAT MORE DOES SHE HAVE TO GO THROUGH?!!

Oh and I like the Sentry a lot! Or do I like the concept better? On reflection, I think I’m also channeling Bendis love of the character as my own, when a writer showcases a character, fans can copy their admiration.

Namor or Pym would make for a good story. Sentry would make me happy. But my guess is that it’s Nick Fury (Life Model Decoy # 84,715) faking yet another death so he can form the Super Secret Warriors.

Johnathan Hickman is that awesome.

I don’t get you guys. What is wrong with you?
Why would you want to see the Sentry die? He is an AMAZING character with a lot of potential. I hope that he doesn’t die.