The Greatest Punisher Stories Ever Told!

Every day in May we will reveal the greatest stories ever told starring a particular character or written/drawn by a particular creator (and throughout the month, you’ll get daily chances to vote for NEXT week’s lists). These lists are voted on by YOU, the reader!

Here is the list of characters/creators featured so far (along with the rules on how to vote).

Today’s list is the Greatest Punisher Stories Ever Told!

As you might imagine, a certain writer dominated this list…

10. Punisher Max “Mother Russia”

This storyline set into play plotlines that would reverberate all the way to the end of Ennis’ run. Doug Braithwaite penciled this arc.

It involves Punisher getting involved in a game of international intrigue. This story introduces a number of major characters in the series.

9. Punisher “Circle of Blood”

This was the mini-series that got Punisher his own series! Steven Grant and Mike Zeck were the creative team (with some assists on art towards the end).

8. Punisher Max “Up is Down, Black is White”

This story shows what happens when a bad guy decides to REALLY mess with Frank Castle (think digging up his buried family and defiling their corpses).

Hilarity, as you might imagine, ensues.

Leandro Fernandez drew this arc.

7. Punisher Max “Valley Forge, Valley Forge”

This was the conclusion to Ennis’ run on Punisher, and it is a brilliant look at the interrelation between fellow soldiers.

Goran Parlov drew this arc.

6. Punisher Max “Man of Stone”

One of the main bad guys from Mother Russia returns for his revenge – this resolves a number of major plots from the series. Leandro Fernandez drew this arc.

5. Punisher Max “Long, Cold Dark”

Popular villain Barracuda returns for a no hold’s barred battle to the death with the Punisher, with the life of an innocent child at stake! Howard Chaykin and Goran Parlov drew this arc.

4. Punisher Max “In the Beginning”

Punisher’s old friend Micro returns alongside the CIA, who want Frank Castle to kill for the government! However, when the Mafia get involved, things go pear-shaped quickly. Lewis LaRosa drew this arc.

3. Punisher Marvel Knights “Welcome Back Frank”

This is the maxi-series that saw the return of Frank Castle to being an ordinary killing machine after a couple of years as a literal angel of death. Drawn by Steve Dillon, this series is filled with dark humor.

2. Born

In the beginning of the Punisher Max series (titled, naturally, In the Beginning) there is a reference to the notion that the Punisher must have first touched the “darkness” that later drove him after his family’s death earlier in his life – perhaps during the Vietnam War.

Well, Born shows us the Punisher during Vietnam and we SEE him meet the darkness.

Darick Robertson handles the art duties.

1. Punisher Max “The Slavers”

In this arc, the Punisher is up against the first criminal organization in some time that actually made him actively ANGRY (rather than almost mechanically taking them down) as he comes up against a white slavery ring.

Mixed in to the story are a couple of cops caught up in the mix when a crooked detective tries to take the Punisher down with the power of bad publicity.

Some of the darkest acts of violence but also some of the best pieces of character development make this a very memorable story arc.

Leandro Fernandez drew this arc.

That’s the list! I’m sure there is a lot of agreement and disagreement with the list out there! Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section!

And please vote for the lists that are still up for grabs here!

Quick note: Fernández, not Hernandez. And I think I pretty much agree with you. I think the “Barracuda” arc might deserve an honorable mention, for introducing the eponymous character.

9 out of 10! Ennis rocks!

I didn’t vote, but if I did the list would’ve been like this and probably even in the same order.

The Slavers is an absolutely brutal arc, I’m sure most people remember it when they think Punisher by Ennis, Welcome Back, Frank has that Ennis dark humor that I love so much and Punisher: Born is just amazing, although I think that Darick Robertson is the star of the show on that one. That splash page on the final issue where we see Frank in the morning after the battle always gives me goosebumps.

So…nobody other than Ennis has written a good Punisher story? The character isn’t to my taste, so I haven’t read much with him in it, but I find it interesting that only Ennis can write him well, and evidently only in the MAX format.

Guess it didn’t matter that I didn’t vote, because this is mostly how I would ranked it anyway. Only Ennis’s dark humor, Marvel Knights Punisher never did much for me, but The Slavers and Born definitely stand out above the crowd.

Brian, I think the Punisher is a character tailor-made for MAX if there ever was one, and there has been relatively little Punisher MAX without Ennis, so I guess only time will tell if other writers will ever match him. But yeah, Ennis is the only writer who ever got *me* fascinated by the Punisher.

Tom Fitzpatrick

May 4, 2010 at 5:26 am

Interesting that only one of this list got a Steven Grant mention, and nothing by Mike Baron.

Guess it’s too soon for Jason Aaron to get listed for his PunisherMax run.

Very surprised by the ommission of Miller and Janson’s Child’s Play, which was probably the first ‘real’ Punisher story as the way we view the character today, but you can’t argue with Ennis dominating this list. I’ve disliked almost everything else I’ve read by the guy, but Punisher Max is world class.

Nothing against Ennis, but I find it hard to believe that in the ~35 years the character has been around that the only stories worth reading were written in the last 6-7 years. I mean, there wouldn’t have been a punisher movie in the 80′s and two videogames in the 90′s if someone wasn’t writing some compelling punisher stories at the time, right?

Forgot to ask, Brian – do you have all the polls for the month mapped out already, or are you open to suggestions? If you are, can I suggest a greatest stories poll for either Alan Grant or Norm Breyfogle? I feel like their fantastic run on Batman has suffered in polls because it’s all great without having one particular standout story that everyone can get behind.

@Mac: It’s not that Punisher CAN’T work under other writers and in other formats, it’s just that Ennis is the best and does his best work when he’s able to go to extremes.

@mizike: There were GOOD stories then, but the BEST were now. It would be interesting to see the number of points and number of #1 votes for a list like this, because I think we probably had a lot of #1 votes for each of these. There were good stories by people of Ennis on people’s lists, but these got the marks.

I’ll just add a few stories that I liked.

Jason Aaron wrote a 2008 Punisher Christmas special that was really good. Yeah, I know you’re thinking a Christmas special sounds stupid but from what I remember, it has almost nothing to do with Christmas.

I really liked Ennis’s Punisher vs. Wolverine story, even though all Ennis did was ridicule Wolverine and it was pretty unrealistic. In any case, it’s pretty fun.

Speaking of Punisher vs. Wolverine, I only read one issue (#2) of a series they had together called Damaging Evidence but I remember liking it. I haven’t read it in years, so it might be just because I was a kid. The depiction of Wolverine is quite different though, more the ugly bastard kind.

Also, I’ve wanted to read the Dark Reigh: The List Punisher special, by Aaron too, which also has him fighting (a) Wolverine.

Okay, maybe that’s too much Wolverine for you but I did pick up the first trade of Ennis’s MAX series and didn’t find it too exciting, which I think is #4 on this list.

It’s not that none of the stories written in the past 35 years aren’t worth reading. It’s that Ennis’ Punisher is THE Punisher. It’s exactly how the character should be. When you think of the Punisher, you think of Ennis’ Punisher. It’s so creepy how well he knew the character.

He took the guy from just being someone who kills thugs to something more.

I do have to mention Remender’s Punisher arcs. While it hasn’t been around for too long, he does have a solid hold on the character. I don’t care how silly Frankencastle seems. It’s a delightful fun read… I mean come on, he throws Man-Thing at a helicopter fast ball special style.

Omar Karindu, with the power of SUPER-hypocrisy!

May 4, 2010 at 6:44 am

I’m somewhat shocked that none of Ennis’s one-shots with the character made the list. The Cell and The End were in many ways better-crafted, more emotionally resonant, and more definitive of the character than a couple of the arcs that did make it, even if you were only voting for Ennis stuff.

I wasn’t that fond, I admit, of “Long, Cold Dark,” mostly because I thought one of its central plot elements was rather cliché, and the story didn’t play with the cliché at all. And it’s truly odd to me that it displaced the first Barracuda arc in the voting.

Ennis’s Punisher is awesome, but yeah, major injustice that we have not even one story by Mike Baron included here.

I really recommend Punisher: Tyger.

One of the writers at the time of the Punisher’s super-popularity was one of the biggest hacks around and the book still sold great.

During the Punisher boom, the novelty of the character and tone of the book were all that was needed to sell it.

I would have voted for one of my all time favorites “Small Wake for a Tall Man” (Punisher War Journal #4) but then I realized I would have 9 more spots to fill.

I really enjoyed the first three arcs of Fraction’s run as well as the Dark Reign relaunch with Remender (including Franken-Castle). And I’m not too big on Ennis, which leaves me little reason to read his Punisher. So I guess that leaves my choices rather limited in recent years. I should give Aaron’s Punisher a shot.

Brian Cronin

May 4, 2010 at 7:52 am

Three of them made the Top 15, though (one of them just BARELY missed the Top 10, which would have made the Top 10 entirely Ennis)!

Bah, I say, bah.

Kids these days, what do they know from the Punisher? Not even one of my top ten seemed to rate here.

Bah.

Captain Flash

May 4, 2010 at 9:34 am

Before Ennis wrote the Punisher, I thought the whole character was a (one dimensional) joke.
That all changed with “Welcome Back Frank”.

And yeah, the best One Shot is “Tyger”.

You’re cute.

My #2 was Archie Meets the Punisher. Shame it didn’t make it to the final list.

Quick note: Fernández, not Hernandez.

Oops! Thanks, Elio!

The Long Cold Dark was my number one mostly because it brings everything to a head and takes that “cliche” and then turns it around to actualy make Frank human.

“Is there a company-owned character that is more associated with ONE creator’s run than Punisher(discounting stuff like Jack Knight, or Morpheus)?”

Barring cases where the creator created the character and more or less retired it when done, I can’t think of many. Maybe Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing? Morrison’s Animal Man?

“The move from Marvel Knights (occasionally damned funny but never goofy) to Max realistic Punisher showed how versatile Ennis can be.”

The Russian with boobs and a few other bits were a little goofy, but in a so madly over the top sort of way that it’s forgivable. Although the versatility thing is absolutely true. I can’t think of another case where the same creator did such wildly different takes on a character and both versions were instant classics.

My pick for the best one shot is The End, but I can’t rightly quibble with any selection.

Annoyed Grunt

May 4, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I’d imagine that Mike Baron didn’t make the list because while he had some solid enough single issues, most people think of story arcs for lists like this and most of his long stories just fizzled out in the end. The Final Days is a great story for the first six issues and then the seventh ends with him turning The Punisher black.

I can’t really argue with this list, even though I have been a long time Punisher reader. I can’t say that every arc Ennis did was great but this is a very solid list. Though I did hear one interview where he said that in retrospect that he’s not such a big fan of Welcome Back, Frank and that he thought his MAX work was vastly better.

Its odd, I love the concept of the Punisher(and when Remender and Aaron write him) and I love Ennis on Hitman and Preacher, but I don’t really enjoy them together. I like the first story arc, but it felt really decompressed and wasn’t very fun to read.

“I’ve seen it with other characters too, when a run is so amazingly good, that it makes people forever overlook other prior runs that were also pretty good and would have been remembered and honored if the newer run hadn’t come along.

Bill Mantlo’s Hulk (forever eclipsed by Peter David) and Messner-Loebs’s Flash (forever eclipsed by Mark Waid). Now we can add the Punisher to this list.”

Love the Messner-Loeb Flash! “Freefall in Scarlet” is still my pick for greatest single issue Flash story ever, and I’d rate the whole run just above Waid’s. But I know I’m in the minority.

The Archie/Punisher crossover was one of the few true gems from the early 90s inter-company crossover craze and it’s a pity (but not, I guess, a surprise) that it was overlooked here.

Love these lists, even for characters of whom I have barely read ten stories I can remember! Kudos for the idea and thanks for the work, Brian!

I find the lack of ‘Kitchen Irish’ disturbing.

Abus Abbas:

That all changed with “Welcome Back Frank”.

I agree with the first part, but in Welcome Back Frank he became if anything even more of a one dimensional joke. It’s just that Ennis managed to make the joke funny.

It was only when Punisher Max started that he stopped being a one dimensional joke.

Mostly this list is about right (though I didn’t much like Circle of Blood). It’s a shame not to see Child’s Play or Dave Lapham’s excellent Daredevil vs Punisher: Means and Ends. I was a bit surprised not to see Widowmaker either.

I’m also a little surprised the list is basically all-Ennis. I’ve always found his Punisher stuff to be overrated.

I’m really disappointed there aren’t any Chuck Dixon stories here. A lot of what Ennis has done with the character can originally be found in Dixon’s stuff.

Adam Weissman

May 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

No Assassin’s Guild?

I’ve never met Tim Bradstreet, but I picture him with a single, stark light source directly above his head at all times, forever.

I was pretty sure that Frankencastle wasn’t going to make this list. I was right! (thank god for some people with good taste)

Andrew Collins

May 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

I know some of the longtime Punisher fans are probably going to be disappointed with this list, but for me it’s just about right. I had never given the Punisher a second thought until Ennis and Dillon worked their magic on the “Welcome Back, Frank” mini-series. Since then, it was a long string of one solid Ennis-written story after another.

Slavers is my favorite Punisher story too. That scene where he repeatedly slams Vera against the window all the while giving her a taste of her own medicine is visceral and disturbing and absolutely gripping. When Frank says “It has been a long time since I hate anyone the way I hate these people,” a chill runs down my spine everytime I read that part…

Punisher The Cell
Punisher The End

Both by Ennis and they always seemed to me to be an Alpha and Omega type story for Frank. Read them in tandem! They’re absolutely breathtaking!

Also gotta throw in DNA’s Punisher Year One!

comicbookreader

May 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

Some great, great stuff on that list, although I personally would have put “Kitchen Irish” ahead of “Man of Stone” or “Mother Russia.”

Also, “Punisher: The Cell” was a fantastic one-shot story.

Duff McWhalen

May 5, 2010 at 11:58 am

I never thought there was a definitive Punisher, like there’s no definitive Batman or Superman. I enjoy that Baron, Dixon, Fraction, and Remender seem to realize that he can do pretty much anything.

Born?

Really?

Meh.

But what do I know? I like FrankenCastle.

Punisher meets Archie didn’t make the cut???

They need to make a hardcover book of all of Tim Bradstreet’s covers. If they haven’t already that is.

I didn’t vote in this category, because I knew all I’d come up with would be Punisher appearances up to and possibly including the first miniseries. I’ve always liked Frank better as the crazy guy that heroes have to stop than as a protagonist in his own right. That said, I would have totally voted for Punisher/Archie.

The FIRST MAX Punisher series I got was The Slavers, so I agree with it being number 1!

DetectiveDupin

May 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Pretty good list, not surprising to see it Ennis-dominated. I suspect Aaron will make his mark on Frank too, he’s been a good fit.

LOL can’t wait to see Best Hulk stories. 9 Peter David ones and “Planet Hulk” thrown in just for variety lol

I disagree with this list completely. I never enjoyed Garth Ennis’ Punisher except for the Born mini-series. I do love the runs of Mike Baron. Chuck Dixon, & Matt Fraction. Although Jason Aaron’s current Max series isn’t my thing, his Christamas Special should be on this list as well as Jonathan Mabbery’s one shot. But for me, no one has or ever will do a series to equal Steven Grant & Mike Zeck’s original mini-series, Circle of Blood.

The Slavers was so good. The ending where Frank throws the lady against the window still haunts me.

Bah. A list that didn’t include the “To topple the Kingpin” story but has 9 out of 10 slots dedicated to Ennis and most of it for the boring MAX crap can’t be taken seriously by anyone who calls himself a fan of the Punisher – and I mean the real Punisher and not the character Ennis wrote who doesn’t resemble “Frank Castle” in the slightest (and no, I’m not an Ennis hater – I love his Marvel Knights stuff and even “Born”. But the MAX series was dull, dumb and boring IMO).

JackBurton34

May 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Yup, total arrgement with this list especially the #1 spot. However I feel that Mother Russia should be moved up a bit. Max Nick Fury whipping a general with his belt needs to recognized for its awesomness.

The best Bulls teams are all the Jordan teams?
Wah!!!!

seriously, after Ennis, it’s hard to read the other stuff. He killed the Punisher.

what happened to larosa and Fernandez, parlov too. Why aren’t they on books right now?

Totally agree, but for me, Born is the best, Slavers the second, the rest is OK.

Peace.

The thing is, the max comics are not Punisher stories, they are an alternate universe punisher, they are awesome stories, sure, put them on some kind of list and praise em, but they are not the same guy,

If someone said whats your favourite Spidey story and you said 2099 and Noir or 1602, most would say you are being a bit disengenuous (sp?) Just because the two are very similar people forget Max Frank is a different character from a different fictional universe.

I think this list is dead on. Whether you consider the MAX run an alternate universe or not, it’s the best Punisher run to date. It’s an example of what a writer at the top of his craft can do, when he has a deep understanding of a character. It’s visceral and real, and if you’re honest, you have to admit that it makes you question your own humanity at times. Boring? Most definitely not. Truthfully, Ennis should have his own list, because when it comes to the Punisher, nobody can touch him.

Maybe a lone voice here but the first Punisher War Zone arc was kick ass fun. It was the first art by John Romita Jr where he really embraced Kirby chunkiness and laid the foundation for all the awesome that was to come.

Toby, that makes no sense to me.

When the time comes to choose Superman stories, I doubt all 10 of them will come from the same “universe.”

Will you say All-Star Superman doesn’t count because it’s alternate universe Superman?

Brian Cronin

May 5, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Yeah, Toby, your position really does not follow.

The Batman list also had two “alternate reality” Batman stories (Dark Knight Returns and Mad Love).

It doesn’t matter – a great Batman story is a great Batman story is a great Batman story.

Same with Punisher.

And the greatest Punisher stories just happen to be the Ennis ones (that’s not to say that it wouldn’t be interesting to see what a list would look like not counting the Ennis issues).

@AndSymo:
You’re not a lone voice, that’s my favorite Punisher story too!

John Chidley-Hill

Suicide Run was better than Eurohit and just right before it. Those were the issues that got me reading the Punisher. But anything by Garth Ennis on the Punisher rocks. My dream series would be Suicide Run by Garth Ennis remake!!!

Brian Cronin

May 6, 2010 at 1:22 am

Suicide Run was better than Eurohit and just right before it.

I’m pretty sure Suicide Run followed Eurohit.

ETA: Yeah, Suicide Run was more than a year after Eurohit.

Old Bull Lee

May 6, 2010 at 7:00 am

A third voice here for that Punisher War Zone arc. Dixon has always been my favorite Punisher writer.

Ivan_Isaacs:

You can dislike the Ennis stuff because it doesn’t fit with previous depictions of the character if you like, but calling it dumb is just plain wrong.

Nothing by Chuck Dixon or Mike Baron? Fail. Agree with #1 though.

“Personally I’m quite happy that it didn’t fit with previous depictions as previous depictions were of a character I have no interest in reading.”

It was the same character. Ennis himself he based his Frank on Dixon’s.

” Ennis himself said”

Thats a superb qoute there.

Well thanks. *blushes*

no mention of the jigsaw puzzle (issues 34-40)?

I’m so glad I’m not the only one that thinks The Punisher Meets Archie got overlooked on this list.

I’m also with AndSymo: I loved that Dixon/Romita Punisher: War Zone arc. Another story I loved (and one that not too many people know about, i don’t think) is Punisher: The Ghosts of Innocents by Jim Starlin and Tom Grindberg:

I AM FeAR, Old Bull Lee and Jason Green you are all clearly (comic) scholars and gentlemen. I still pull out that arc from time to time but I am forever catching someting on the $%@$^ cut out cover!

gregorykeener

May 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm

just read ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM-UP #6-8

to me that is the most well-defined punisher story i’ve ever read, and it features daredevil and, to a lesser extent, spiderman.

written by Bendis and drawn by Bill Sienkiewicz, whose art totally blew me away. best punisher artist i’ve ever seen, best punisher story, imo, and i HAVE read Ennis

[...] Comic Book Resources – Greatest Punisher Stories Ever Told [...]

Ennis’ Punisher Max should be #1, as a whole. It was very difficult to decide which was better. And “The end” should have been here.

Peter Woodhouse

May 7, 2010 at 8:02 am

Forgive my ignorance – I’ve read few Punisher stories, and no Ennis ones – but the guy on the cover of 6. Punisher Max “Man of Stone” looks like a Russian Kingpin-on-a-diet?
P.

Old Bull Lee

May 7, 2010 at 9:00 am

Thanks for the compliments, AndSymo.

Although I am a supporter of the List,Garth Ennis’ Punisher IS the Punisher to me and would have dominated my Top 10 if I had done one. I wanted to echo what a couple of others have said:

I love the first arc of Punisher: War Zone by Dixon and Romita Jr. Glorious over-the-top Punisher action with some smokin art by Romita Jr. It would have definitely have been on my personal ten.

When I saw Valley Forge I was a little miffed that it wasn’t number one. But when I finally down to see The Slavers I was reminded of what is in retrospect the best standalone story arc of Ennis’ run. But VF,VF tied every single previous arc of Garth Ennis’ time with Punisher Max. Really, if a plot point or character or thread is not mentioned in that last chapter, it’s related directly and essentially to one that is. I was taken aback by the interconnectedness of Ennis’ conclusion, something no comic had done for me so far. Plus right after reading Watchmen, having that plain prose reading material in between the comic art was pretty resonant.

I shoulda voted

I am interested in seeing the top 15 here, as you have made elsewhere, just curious to see if there was other non Ennis stuff (and which of them).

War Zone war awesome, just like Eurohit and Suicide run.

PUNISHER:WAR ZONE#1-7 ,written by Chuck Dixon and art supplied by the definitive PUNISHER art team of John Romita Jr. and Klaus Janson should have been a definite must for this list. A kick-arse story featuring Frank infiltrating a mob family, and the way he wormed his way in was also used in the Thomas Jane flick. Also the hellacool government wetboy Shotgun included in on the action as well. And to top it off, Ennis himself stated in a WIZARD interview that Dixon’s Punisher was the model he followed when crafting “Welcome Back Frank.” So there.

I would not have a big problem removing Welcome back Frank for War Zone to be honest.

[...] BEST PUNISHERS. In the always enjoyable “Comics Should Be Good” column, they’ve compiled a list of the best Punisher stories.  Nearly all are Garth Ennis, [...]

Good list. My two and one are both born and the slavers.

I did not vote, so I can´t complain.

Although I enjoyed some of Ennis stories (“Welcome back, Frank” is one of my favorites too.), I see some great “non-MK/non-MAX” Punisher stories missing. For me it looks like people just forgot a “non-Ennis-Punisher” existed.

“River of blood” and “Return to big nothing” are definitely missing here.

The fact that nothing by Carl Potts is on this list is a joke.

Want Frank pre-Ennis? Start with Punisher War Journal #1 and keep reading right through Jim Lee’s art until the end of Tex’s run. Also, the 5 issues of Punisher Erik Larsen drew featuring the Shadowmasters are really cool and underrated. (can’t think of the issue #’s, but they should be easily found)

[...] [EDIT: Apparently some folks over at Comic Book Resources agree with me.] [...]

“Suicide Run” is the best Punisher story ever!!

Any Punisher list without Return to Big Nothing is flawed. You can credit Ennis and Dixon, but the character they write is because of Grant and Zeck. (And to some extent, Frank Miller). And that they got to complete the story this time makes it superior to Circle of Blood (which started off stronger than it ended anyway. Can’t beat the end of RtBN).