Why The Russos Are The Best Thing to Happen to the MCU Since Joss Whedon
In honor of the fiftieth anniversary of Spider-Man, we’re doing four straight months of polls having to do with Spider-Man, culminating with the release of the Amazing Spider-Man film in July. The first month was the 50 Greatest Spider-Man covers (click here for the results of the 50 Greatest Spider-Man Covers poll). The next two months will be about Spider-Man creators and Spider-Man stories. This month is all about Spider-Man characters!
Spider-Man has a rich history of interacting with other great characters, whether as friends (like Mary Jane or Aunt May) or as foes (like Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus)! So here you will be casting your vote for who you feel are the greatest Spider-Man villains as well as the greatest Spider-Man friends/associates of all-time!
You folks all vote in the comments section here up until 11:59 Pacific time, April 20th. I’ll tabulate all the votes and I’ll begin a countdown of the top 50 beginning April 21st.
Okay, here are the guidelines!
1. Vote in the comments section below, making sure to include that classic word “ACBC” somewhere in your comment so your vote will be marked invisible.
2. Vote for your TEN favorite Spider-Man villains as well as your TEN favorite Spider-Man supporting cast members/associates/fellow superheroes. So you’ll be listing 20 characters in total.
3. Rank each list of ten from #1 (what you think is the greatest character) to #10 (what you think is the 10th greatest). I’d prefer it if you actually numbered your entry, #1-10. It’s easier for me to count. On that note, please also avoid listing them like this “1) 2) 3) 4),” because 8 with a ) after it transforms into a smiley face in the comments section (this one 8) ). Just plain ol’ “1. 2. 3.” works best.
4. Your top choice will be given 10 points, your second choice 9, etc.
5. I’ll accept votes for Ultimate versions of characters. So specify if you are voting for the Ultimate version of a character, otherwise I’ll assume you mean the regular Marvel Universe version of said character.
6. On the friends list, do not vote for teams, like the Fantastic Four or the Avengers. Just list individual heroes. So, for instance, list Human Torch not the Fantastic Four, Captain America not the Avengers, etc.
7. As for villain teams, no Sinister Six for the villains list, as that team is just a collection of solo villains. Now the Enforcers, they can be counted as a team. The general rule of thumb is, “Did they first fight Spider-Man as a team?” If the answer is yes, then they can be voted on as a team. If no, then no.
8. For the sake of this list, J. Jonah Jameson is a friend/associate. Don’t put him on the villains list.
9. You can vote Harry Osborn as a friend while also voting for Harry as Green Goblin as an enemy. Same with Dr. Curt Conners as a friend while the Lizard is a foe. Venom is a foe, Black Cat and Flash Thompson are friends. Anti-Venom you can put as a friend. Same with the Punisher.
10. Here is a nice guide to Spider-Man’s supporting cast.
11. Make sure to include ACBC in your ballot.
If you have questions and or requests for clarification, feel free to ask them in the comments section below.
Remember, please include the following word: ACBC – on your ballot. It will make it so your ballot appears invisible to other readers, so only I can read it (and count your vote secretly).
Most importantly, have fun!
Comics Should Be Good accepts review copies. Anything sent to us will (for better or for worse) end up reviewed on the blog. See where to send the review copies.