So Tim Drake Was Never Robin?

An interesting revelation at one of DC’s panels today at SDCC is that Teen Titans writer Scott Lobdell will reveal how Tim Drake became a superhero, and apparently he was always Red Robin, never Robin.

It seems as though the origin will stay pretty much the same (Tim Drake figuring out Batman’s secret identity) but he never actually takes on the Robin identity.

I don’t know if I like the idea, but I guess it does make Tim stand out a bit.

Read on to see the bit from Teen Titans #1 that seems to contradict this.

So, in Teen Titans #1, Tim looks at an old picture of Batman and himself in action. Setting aside the question of how did they get such a picture (did they pose for it? Weird), it sure looks like he is Robin there, huh?

I suppose they could be saying that he was RED Robin in that picture and that everything else happened the same, he was just never called Robin.

I really wish DC would start putting more emphasis on telling new stories rather than just constantly rewriting the old ones.

Aaron Bourque

July 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Does that mean that his solo series was mistitled?

Between this, some of the things that George Perez has said, and a variety of other information we’ve had, it really looks to me that DC should have spent a couple more months working out some of the finer details before launching the reboot.

Sigh.

Charles J. Baserap

July 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

They made it very clear in a few Batman issues that Tim was Robin at one point. The more time that passes, the more it seems that the New 52 was mostly an ad hoc effort with only a select few being in on the finer details.

Mike Loughlin

July 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm

DC should have just started over. Making half the universe brand new and half kinda sorta new just didn’t work. Awful writing didn’t do them any favors, either.

On the other hand, I think Tim Drake became a broken character in the old universe. Making him Red Robin didn’t work for me. Maybe giving him an identity that didn’t have the word “Robin” in it would have helped. As it is, there was no compelling reason to have him exist in the new 52.

Im sure this answer will change at least twice before the issue comes out and at least once after it does.

sigh

::rolls eyes::

I am big fan of Robin & different Robins and this is just heartbreaking B.S.

I really hope they change his origin significantly. Never liked the thing where he figures out Batman’s secret identity.

So there wasn’t a point where he thought that taking his superhero name from a chain of gourmet hamburger restaurants was a bad idea?

Just gonna close my eyes and go to my happy place and maybe when I open them again someone competent will be running DC.

CheeseOnThree

July 15, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I must’ve read “A Lonely Place of Dying” a dozen times as a kid. Same with that Robin TPB with the story of how Tim’s folks got hurt and the limited series where he has to defend Gotham against the Joker by himself. Bums me out that those won’t be included in current Tim Drake continuity.

JohnnyTimpulse

July 15, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Well that’s kinda retard as in the first issue of Teen Titans, you see a picture on Tim’s desk and you can see him in his old Robin costume with Batman and Kid Flash is even wearing Tim’s old Robin costume in the first few issues. They have already got rid of Dick and Wally’s friendship and now they are messing with Tim’s past. Why DC, WHY?????

Didn’t they show him as robin in the first issue of teen titans? And say he was robin in several batman comics?

Maybe he wasn’t allowed to be Robin after wat happened to Jason, and took the mantle Red Robin instead?

This is awful news. Why do dc editors fall in love with certain characters like Damian Wayne and forget about others. Tim drake was great as robin he was the only robin wih an ongoing it’ll that lasted for 190 issues (roughly) yet now in the be 52 he was never robin disgusting. It makesme wan to stop reding all of dc. Actually I might condense to just justice league batgirl and Scott snyders batman. I hate the new 52 in that the heroes whose books got poor sales get completely rebooted but the others namely batman and green lantern remain the same. Disaster. It would ave been so cool if they completely rebooted batman as well. Started with dick grayson as robin. How does making batman a father conform to the idea of making everyone younger? Basically dc is erasing Wally west all incarnations of the teen now Tim drake plus all of 1990 comics ( don’t get me started on Stephanie and Cassie). Well the fans that grew up on these titles are pissed and this one is leaving. Make mine marvel…..NOW

Think of the plus side: This should help sell the old trades as they will be the only good stories with the character.

Wow, not even a year and the new 52 is coming apart at the seams. This is one of the stupider ret-cons.

I’m usually the sober voice in the fanboy room, but not when it comes to Tim. The new Robin in the pants and ninja boots was literally what got me into comics in the first place. For me, this is just an open-hand slap to the face from DC.

The recurring pattern here with Tim, Wally West, etc, are the complications caused by this arbitrary 5-year timeline, and who it’s forcing them to squeeze out. I’ve got a wild idea: not having a 5-year timeline. How about a 10-year timeline, or a whatever-year timeline they need in order to accommodate the likes of Tim and Wally. Forget personal sentiment, and just stick with business. Does anyone at DC actually believe that having Superman be 27-years old is going to sell even one more comic book than if he’s 32-years old? Is that an issue for even a single person? Even as a kid, teenager, or whoever they’re targeting, that never once crossed my mind. I’d wager that not having the incredibly popular Wally West around has quantifiably cost them more sales than they’ve gained by de-aging everyone.

The longer the New 52 goes, the more it becomes apparent that their careful planning involved scribbling something on the back of a napkin 10 minutes before they went to press. I don’t wish ill upon anything in comics, because God knows we can ill afford it, but when this bubble bursts, and sales bottom out, I’m going to have a grin on my face the day I read the CBR headline, “DC Co-Publishers Didio, Lee Fired.”

Matt SantoriGriffith (@FotoCub)

July 15, 2012 at 3:28 pm

TIm’s origin hasn’t changed, according to Lobdell, just the name. Same basic story of him figuring out Batman’s identity after Jason’s death holds. Still worked as a team. Just didn’t take the exact same name as the dead kid before him. Makes a little sense actually.

The

So if they weren’t allowed to reuse the name Robin, what was Stephanie?

Red-Breasted Robin?

(Oh, who am I kidding… in the new DCU Stephanie never existed)

The only good thing left featuring Tim drake Wally west and most of the titans is the young justice tv show. Any word on whether they announced a 3rd season at the dc nation panel today? I can’t find information online. The way dc has been handling things I suspect the show is gonna be cancelled. The show is amazing and deserves a 3rd season but apparently dc hates Wally and Tim and all of that history so I suspect they will cancel it. Kinda how Stephanie brown is no longeR in the smallville comic. VOME
OH BUT LET’S GREEN LIGHT A tv show called beware the batman where batman has sidekicks of Alfred toting a gun and some ninja girl. It really is disgusting how they messed this up so severely

Joe C, I think it is pretty clear that there is a lot of cooks in the DC stew.
I think it could get even worse if we lost Lee and Didio. They’re not good, but there are a lot of suits with $$ for eyes in WB. If a businessman were a publisher of DC, his 52 would consist of 32 Batman titles, 1 Superman, 1 GL, 1 JLA, 1 Watchmen and maybe some Brokeback Girls title.

not surprised dc is back to messing up history of the characters for in the old dcu it was stephanie who was never robin not tim. guess this means he was on his own and never batmans ward and adopted son either if he was never robin wonder how long before dc changes it back later to say he was robin.

How long before we get the inevitable “crisis” (can’t call it crisis because of Morrison’s awful Final Crisis)? I’m betting that Pandora and the Phantom Stranger will change reality again and out pops Wally West and maybe Donna Troy. Abracadabra.

Brandon Morgan

July 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm

From the beginning, I said this type of stuff would be the undoing of the New 52 by choosing a “soft reboot” over a hard reboot for a few of their titles. It forces creators and editors to cherry pick what is “in” and what is “out.” That leads to some pretty convoluted logic in the long run. hence, we get things like TIM DRAKE WAS NEVER ROBIN. Giving little chestnuts like this will only lead to more mind-reeling later on.

Hard reboots. Just pull the bandage off and tell good stories.

Full disclosure: I’m a Marvel zombie and don’t really “get” the DC Universe.

It clearly states that Tim is a former Robin in Batman #1. DC editorial + reboot = clueless!

After this weekend’s Smallville fiasco I’m thinking Tim as Robin had be erased due to guilt by association with Steph in a past universe. ;)

In Batman & Robin Damian and Tim fight over respecting the Robin name. Oh and Damian is on a mission to one-up each of the other former Robins. I think Teen Titans is pretty low on the continuity authority rankings. Tim Drake was Robin. Cassie was Batgirl. Stephanie was both. This looks like a future entry for Abandoned and Forsaked.

Stich Tuesday

July 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm

DC: You know what guise? We didn’t top ourselves last year at all. We need to do more to demonstrate to the fans how self-contradictory and superbly ignorant we are of the value these characters have to the fans.

DC: So we have the Emo Superman, no DC movies until 2015, no Waffles for Stephanie Brown, Tim Drake never a Robin, darker Amethyst, darker Green Arrow. I do believe we did our job today by being the Red Sox of the Comics world.

DC: (Busy wandering the Marvel booths staring at the Phase 2 movies, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool video game, Phineas and Ferb/ Avengers crossover) What? Did you say something?

This just makes the point clear to me that DC should have done an “Ultimate” DC line with this new 52 instead of replacing the “OLD” DC universe. Because clearly they are having to work a lot harder than they should be.

@Fred: I thought that’s what the now-redundant Earth One OGN line was for. But that was an entire year before the New 52, so how could the ADD Didio/Lee regime be expected to make sense for that long consecutively?

WHAT? Somebody obviously forgot to tell Tomasi. Batman and Robin’s current story is all about Damien wanting to prove he’s the best Robin…Why does he include Tim in that list? This is such a stupid, pointless decision.

OK, this is why I’m reading Earth-2 and nothing else. One Earth, one writer, clean startover. Plus, their Superman had a much better costume (even if he was killed in the first issue).

” Well that’s kinda retard as in the first issue of Teen Titans, ”

Hilariously hypocritical that you’d be using ableist language insulting a variety of peoples’ intelligence levels when you weren’t even careful enough to use it as a past-tense verb.

At whom’s whim does DC operate now? Geoff Johns? We never saw such love for the scissor before now. Kyle Rayner, who happens to be “my” GL, will be annihilated from existence in 5,4,3,2…

This reminds me Ultimate Team-Up, the comic that established that the Ultimate Universe version of the Fantastic Four were pretty much identical to the 616 version. You know, before Ultimate Fantastic Four came out and made them all teenagers who wouldn’t even have had their powers yet at the time Ultimate Team-Up took place.

The New 52 seems to be repeating the problems of the first crisis: creating more continuity confusion than it solves (anyone remember the post-crisis mess made out of Hawkman?) the original crisis tried to streamline the DCU, but alienated some older fans and created a lot of confusion as there seemed to be nobody at the reigns to ensure consistency. Final Crisis did the same to people like me who grew up on post-crisis DC. Now a new generation gets to watch DC management flounder over one of its greatest assets: it’s history.

Stitch: great compare between Red Sox management and DC. Both organizaions are trying to attract new fans while completely destroying their relationship with their existing fanbase and operating with no long-term plan.

This stuff no longer surprises me. I’ll be damned if I spend any money on it.

DC messed up when they didn’t reboot the lot. Keeping some stories, while starting over in other series just doesn’t work in the long run.

Because DC has such a good track record of denying Robins’ existences.

Should have not rebooted or just said it’s Dick Grayson. Always was Dick Grayson. Always will be Dick Grayson. Or maybe start with Batman, Dick Grayson has moved on to Nightwing, and let the readers see whoever they want to be Robin from his/her Day 1.

Please, please, please stop writing comics about your “universe’s” continuity cosmology and the inter-office politics that guide them. It’s a small audience.

I don’t. Between the writing talent and the editorial “brain” trust, the last thing I would trust them to do is come up with new stories. Think about how much damage they could do, not to mention that they’re simply not talented enough to do it. They could probably top Countdown in terms of awfulness. Think of how bad their last attempt at new stories Countdown was, then keep in mind that since then DC has added Michael Green and Rob Liefeld to its writing staff and Bob Harras, architect of the 90s X-Men, to its editorial, and imagine what they would do if they tried new stories NOW. I think by having them just remix old stories it lessens the amount of damage they could do, plus it makes the stories less likely to be as awful as if they tried to make up stuff from scratch.

For those of us who have been paying attention since Identity Crisis and being objective, that was obvious from the minute the reboot was announced. There was no way it was going to be done competently and with foresight. Not by the exact people whose lack of competence and foresight drove the DCU to the point where a reboot was needed in the first place. The fact that anyone even had confidence that it wouldn’t turn into this from the beginning is the real shocking part of this.

Wow, not even a year and the new 52 is coming apart at the seams.

The DCU came apart at the seams years ago. The new DCU never sewed the seams back together, so you can’t say they’re coming apart at the seams. More like the DCU came apart at the seams post-Didio, Didio scotch tapes it back together because he can’t sew, and then called it a reboot. Oh wait it’s not a reboot. I forgot.

Joe C, I think it is pretty clear that there is a lot of cooks in the DC stew.

Honestly, I would trust suits far more than Didio. I’m sure suits have far more input on DC’s Animated programming than in DC’s comics line, and the animated stuff has been consistently better than the comics for years.

Even if they did a hard reboot, as long as Didio and company were in charge how much better would it have really been? The mistake was in doing a soft reboot of the editorial and brain trust.

As someone who lived through the first reboot of Crisis, this is really not a fair comparison. Sure they messed up Hawkman in continuity, along with some other things, but the Hawkman type fiascos were like 10-20% of post-Crisis and the good was like 80-90%. Jeannette Kahn was in charge and the influx of Marvel Superstars was really invigorating the company. It was like an artistic renaissance.

In this new DC reboot, the Hawkman stuff is like 80-90% of the new line of comics, and the stuff that is good is not THAT great.

As I remember reading back in the day, Tim Drake’s introduction as Robin was very carefully handled. The result being, that Tim became a fan favorite and the first Robin ever to earn his own series. By contrast, Jason Todd’s origin had already been retconned once after his own debut, which was less than a decade before Tim entered the picture.

I thought Tim’s history as Robin was so spotless that DC would never be able to screw it up, but there you go…

God, I freaking hate DC.

Sad :(

Tim’s first decade of appearances were some of the best in comic history! – Up until the 1st year or so of his ongoing series.

On the plus side – I can still always reread them!

Ha ha ha ha! = I think that it’s enough for a comment
Marvel > DC

Jake Earlewine

July 16, 2012 at 3:56 am

If I was DC’s worst enemy, and if I had the power to ruin the entire company and eventually drive them out of business, my plan would be to push away all their lifetime customers. I would hire people like Didio and Lee to run DC, and I would encourage them to reboot their entire line with poor quality alternative versions of their original characters. And if I wanted DC to really burn in flames, I’d have them hire no-talent has-been artists, writers and editors who haven’t had much success in the last twenty years, like say, Rob Liefield, Jeph Loeb, and Bob Harras.

Fortunately, I don’t hate DC, so all that would never happen.

Cory!! Strode

July 16, 2012 at 4:35 am

You know all of those things in interviews with DC Editorial about how this was carefully planned for over 3 years, and all of the creators have been carefully picked?

Yeah, typical.

DC is Marvel circa 1996…I fully expect a 2 year Clone saga, multiple “masterminds” in every book and the rest of the crap that made Marvel unreadable after DeFalco was forced out. Maybe DC will have to hire Quesada in 5 years to fix everything like he did at Marvel…

I am not going to acknowledge this. If I want to read non-Vertigo DC titles, I’ll stick with buying back issues/trades and wait this reboot out.

Another thing that would drive me crazy about online fan chatter about the DC reboot and its insane optimism that flew in the face of all available evidence:

I’m not a fan of current Marvel. If I had to give the current era of Marvel a name, I’d call it the “Red Hulk” era, as to me that was the time it really started going downhill. But what got on my nerves was when all these people online were praising DC for being bold enough to try something new while stupid old Marvel was still recycling events and killing the industry. Good old DC was taking a stand against event comics and distancing themselves from them.

Never mind that DC started the current events comic trend with Identity Crisis back when Marvel was still in its Jemas Nu-Marvel phase. But more importantly, THE NEW 52 IS AN EVENT COMIC, EXCEPT THIS TIME, THE EVENT IS 52 COMICS A MONTH. It’s not a stand against event comics, it’s the biggest event comic in history. It’s an event that basically have 52 tie-in comics a month, as you had to buy every one to figure out what the new storylines and status quo were and how the whole picture went. The fact that Pandora appeared in every issue is yet another reason to think of this as a giant event comic. So we went from Flashpoint straight into a bigger event comic, New 52, and then we got the Court of Owls saga and now DC is announcing a bunch of new events like the new Joker storyline crossover and the Trinity War crossover.

Yes, they really distanced themselves from crossovers. And yes, they really are trying something new and bold and different. Except a linewide reboot actually WAS done before after Crisis, and this one is actually LESS bold since its a softer reboot than the last one and actually changed less history.

DC can say what they like. I’ve got back issues that say different.

Such a shame… DC has so many good ideas too, but they’re all turning into a cacophonous mess that a lot of us can’t entirely decipher. Some titles were re-set, some weren’t, and such a convoluted mess has served only to confuse me all the more. Even 12 issues later into many of their titles and I’m still confused.
Why do they feel it necessary to keep doing this?
A DC comics version of Marvel’s Ultimate line might have made more sense. I’m not a happy fan anymore.

beta ray steve

July 16, 2012 at 7:18 am

The New 52 was the end of the DCU and the start of 52 continuity-independent books.

Re: Micheal P. Amen. My DC universe has the “Man of Steel” Superman, Tim Drake is Robin and Barry Allen is married.

Evil Superboy punches reality once again!

But… Steph was still Robin, right? :P (From a ‘five years’ point of view it makes sense that Tim was never Robin, since it means Batman doesn’t quite go through them like toilet paper, but it should have been planned from the start.)

I love how DC re-booted all their books to make them more accessible to new readers, but in the process ended up alienating a lot of their old readers by messing with too much continuity. For example, I haven’t picked up a New 52 book because not only did I dislike the idea of a reboot, but because I didn’t want to have to wrack my brain figuring out all this new continuity.

Also, does anyone have sales stats for these books? Are they selling well? Did they succeed in getting new readers in?

Thanks DC! Just this weekend I was watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and after I felt kinda bad that I was no longer following the ongoing developments of Batman, as I stopped collecting DC when the New 52 started. A twinge of guilt and sadness combined. And then something like this comes out, and it’s “oh yeah, THAT’S why I stopped.” I guess I know how those who were around before Crisis feel now. But those that compared it, I think it’s far more along the lines of something less like Zero Hour. I guess they threw out all that Superman continuity for Man of Steel, but they didn’t make Superman a jackass in it, and give him armor. You had the the pseudo-continuing Batman continuity, but he wasn’t boinking Catwoman on rooftops.

It’s selling well, but I wonder how long that continues. If it does they’ve got what they wanted, and I don’t matter. But I can’t help feel sad for what they’ve lost. Or what I’ve lost. And who knows, with Marvel NOW they might be headed down the same path. Fred above was right. If they want to reboot everything, an Ultimate type line to go with it was the way to go. Didn’t really work that well for Marvel outside of Spider-man, but at least they didn’t piss everyone off with it. And introducing 52 comics in a month was insane. And the problem with the industry. We need to support a bunch of overpaid comic creators who are fought over like rock stars but not bringing blockbuster money into the industry. The whole thing was better off when everyone had one title (other than Batman and Superman) and the talent was more concentrated. Comics can survive, but they need to downsize and get everyone buying fewer titles, rather than fewer buying a bunch of titles individually. But shock and awe has become the answer.

Red Robin was my favorite DC book before the new 52 but the character has lost a little of what made him interesting. I’ve been getting Teen Titans since the reboot but I’m iffy on whether or not to go into year 2.

Tell good stories and I won’t care. Maybe this will help make better stories; hopefully they have something planned that necessitates the change.

Travis Pelkie

July 16, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I love when T gets something like this irritating him, because he goes off so beautifully, making all the points I would make if I were smarter. Nice work, sir!

I really liked the idea of Tim deducing that Bruce was Batmsn, it gave him a different more cerebral flavour to Dick or Jason “Not all that Bright” Todd. And for those who felt it wasn’t (ahahaha) “realistic” I’m not sure that Damien Super- Brat is all that realistic either! Not that I Hate Damien, I just find him a really annouing cteation, but hey that’s just me…
@T – I must say I thoroughly agree with your observations on the difference between the Post-Crisis revamp and the “New 52″ abomination. I’m particularly struck by your statement that even the “good” titles from this revision (I detest the over-used word “reboot” so I *refuse* to use it! Right On!)aren’t all THAT good, and I wanted them to be, who wants things to be Crap? For those who enjoy them, fine, Go With God I’m not taking snything away from you, it’s just that I, Grumpus that I am, wanted more, expected better. But as I day, that’s just me…

Not sure if anyone mentioned that in Scott Snyder’s very first issue of Batman in the New 52, he has an info blurb next to Tim that says “FORMER: ROBIN, CURRENT: RED ROBIN.” Don’t see how there is any way they can reconcile this. Bear in mind that interviews don’t affect canonical status of narrative—it is what happens on the page that does. Plenty of over-zealous writers and artists have made erroneous statements during interviews before, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this is overturned.

I tried, I have really tried to give the New 52 a fair shake. Purchased the Bat, Superman, GL titles and more. I have really enjoyed the Edge titles and the Snyder issues, but this is just a collasal cluster F. I have been a DC guy for many many years and never did I think the day would come where I begin thinking about Marvel again. I will probably still buy JL Dark, Suicide Squad and a few others, but I can no longer support this ever changing “reboot” at my current pull level. Seems like this 52 experiment is done by throwing darts at a board.

Ed (A Different One)

July 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm

@ Collin Colsher – I just finished reading the first trade of the Snyder Batman and remembered your point exactly (“FORMER: ROBIN, CURRENT: RED ROBIN”). I guess the computer in the bat cave must have had a glitch that day.

But why oh why did these books sell so many copies then? Believe me, I’m not defending DC, but before I dropped out of comics for a while late last year all the sales figures were showing that the DC sales “spike” resulting from New 52 had been sustained for several months (much to my surprise). Did the sales bottom out finally after people finally realized taht 90% of the titles were shite?

It would be like the bursting of the 90′s speculators bubble, except in microcosm.

And now it looks like Marvel’s gearing up to follow suit. Sheesh . . . .

They just need a continuity guy like Marv Wolfman, Mark Waid, or Kurt Busiek to come in and clean up all the continuity blips and then move on from there.

That just sounds terrible. Make it up as you go along, throw everything against the wall to see what sticks and then come in and use OCD continutity hound writers to try to make sense out of it later with unconvincing continuity patches and retcons? I’ve read comics like that, like mid-70s Marvel and 90s X-Men, and they’re always bad.

An ounce of prevention is always worth a lot more than a pound of cure.

DC has been so intent on having the “most iconic” version of each character EXCEPT for Robin. I understand management not wanting to cross Grant Morrison, but this makes the Robin thing REALLY confusing.

It would be one thing if they kept Dick as Nightwing and said “He grew up”, now Batman’s son is Robin. That is easy to understand, relatively simple to explain. However, they kept both Jason Todd and Tim Drake and are having to try to explain them too. It seem arbitrary.

I love Lobdell’s writing, but he needs to go read Batman & Robin 10 where EVERYONE in the issue is referring to Tim as a Robin. Bruce even says that all three (Dick, Tim, and Damian have all done well as Robin)

In the first issue of the New Teen Titans (Where the above picture comes from), Tim Drake states that he was one called Robin “The Boy Wonder”. Look it up.

To the people who keep pointing out over and over that there are instances of Tim Drake being referred to as Robin in the NuDCU…have you actually read the announcement by Lobdell that Cronin is referring to? He already acknowledges that the NuDCU already said otherwise. He said that when they started, there was on status quo and now they’ve changed their minds. So he’s already aware that this is a contradiction.

I’m actually kind of glad that someone loved Lobdell’s writing. It makes DC editorial seem slightly less insane, if only slightly. I … do not love it. But as long as someone does, using him at least makes some business sense.

My point is that there is an example LAST MONTH that contradicts what he says.

My point is that there is an example LAST MONTH that contradicts what he says.

If you think that’s something, you should have been following all the press Lobdell was doing from the announcement of the NU52 until the interviews about Bunker. He contradicted HIMSELF, not even other books, in the span of interviews that were weeks apart. He was honest too about the fact that just weeks before there were new status quos. For example while the Teen Titans issue where Robin mentions former incarnations of the Titans WAS STILL ON THE STANDS, Lobdell was saying in interviews that there were no previous Teen Titans teams and admitting the new status quo was barely weeks old.

Hey, I am loving Lobdell on all of his titles. But I also love continuity.

Well, he’s still Robin in CN’s YJ.

Though not even Weisman and Vietti could salvage this NuDCU mess. I’ll second Dan above who said Young Justice is amazing; I’d go so far as to say it’s the best superhero cartoon we’ve ever had and maybe, depending on how it ends and how far they decide to take it, one of the best linear superhero stories ever (hard continuity, mystery, death, actual organized villain threats, anyone who’s anyone in the DCU appearing at some point, and a willingness to not pull punches to protect the characters).

Eh, at least they have one thing right…

[...] I’m on record as being a pretty big Tim Drake fan, so you can imagine my annoyance that he’s been retroactively repositioned. And there is an argument to be made that Batman wouldn’t want him to use the “Robin” name in [...]

Hey, I am loving Lobdell on all of his titles. But I also love continuity.

I’m not bashing Lobdell or his writing. I’m not even blaming him for the bad continuity. As he says himself, these status quos are handed down to him. I was quoting him to show how confused the editorial culture is over at DC, not to bash his writing.

[...] that he was the best Robin, including Tim in that? Scott Lobdell said it at SDCC here is a link. So Tim Drake Was Never Robin? | Comics Should Be Good! @ Comic Book Resources But yeah seems weird Damian would even go after Tim if he was never officially [...]

EPIC FAIL! Fail! No really this fail. Jason todd and Damien get to be robins but Tim? WTF?

Shame that Snyder wrote Drake in as “Former Robin” in Batman #1. By shame, I mean that it’s a shame that Lobdell is an idiot, not a shame that he’s wrong.

They shouldve never fooled with time. Dc makes great storys- but they screwed up forever with that crisis stupidity. Leave the time to H.G. Welles. Tim Drake as Robin IS a very viable concept! Why on earth meddle with it? As Tim says and everyone knows: BATMAN needs a ROBIN( just not chris odonnel, or that damn girl from TDKR)

btamn is something i actually know

January 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

here’s the thing you don’t understand in the comic books Tim is robin. Batman was about to give him Jason’s old Robin suit but he told Batman that he would make his own so that they could leave jason’s clothes in the bat-cave in his honor.
he was robin he just put in the red part in front in honor of jason he was still robin

I freaking hate this idea. I mean, Tim is the most well-known Robin after Dick, for pity’s sake. Him having never been a “regular” Robin just feels wrong.

@Fred: Agreed. DC should have left well enough alone, and made Nu52 a separate line, like Marvel’s Ultimate line. Marvel learned their lesson about replacing established canon after the clusterfuck failure that was Heroes Reborn.

@Josh: Crisis did a lot to fix DC cluttered 50 year history, like streamlining Black Canary’s origin from a hot mess to a daughter carrying on her mother’s legacy. Yes, Hawkman was a bit of a mess, but Johns fixed that nicely in JSA. Even though Crisis had it’s flaws, it did more good than harm, and at least it was planned out for 5 years. Nu52 seems like it was thought up overnight.